Vista Installation Errors...Please Help... RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all,

I have recently started having problems with Vista so I decided to go for a wipe and clean install of Vista. I have an original copy of Vista which I have used when I originally set my computer up.

I have two hard drives, an IDE 80Gb HDD and a SCSI 260Gb HDD. I was only using the SCSI drive when I started having problems and the IDE drive was blank. I copied saved games files, music, etc onto my IDE drive and started an installation from the Vista DVD. Here I was able to format the SCSI drive and start the installation to it.

The Vista setup asks for my product key and language settings then goes onto a screen where the files are extracted. During the extraction, and at seperate points at most retries, I receive an error saying, 'Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error Code: 0x80070570'.

On another try I have received the error message, 'Windows Installation encountered an unexpected error. Verify that the installation sources are accessible and restart the installation. Error Code: 0xC0000005.'

On a further try I received the error message, 'Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error Code: 0x80070057.'

I have tried reformatting the drive in the setup menu, removing it and creating a new partition with it with the same results. I've also changed the DVD drive that I'm booting from and attempted an installation onto the IDE drive but again, with the same results.

I've also managed to get hold of two copies of XP to at least try and get the thing running so I can check the net (Have to do this while at work at the moment) but with both disks the installation cannot find/install certain files and they have to be skipped to continue with the installation. Unfortunately, this leads to the installation being a failure and I can't boot afterwards. The condition of all discs involved are perfect and both DVD drives were working perfectly before the wipe.

I am running a Pentium dual core 1.8Ghz, 2Gb DDR1 RAM, a Radeon 2600XT 512MB PCI-Express Graphics Card and the drives previously mentioned. BIOS starts fine and all RAM is detected. By the way, I have also removed the RAM sticks and put them back in just in case it was a problem with information not wiped from the RAM but no change.

As you can probably tell, I feel I have tried everything and can't find any simil;ar problems or answers on the Microsoft pages.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Rickee

Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Could you boot into the safe mode? If yes, please check that if any virtual device is installed. If there is,please remove them as a test. Nero may caused this issue too.

You may also like to check whether the video driver was installed properly.Both Nvidia and ATI based cards have known problems for certain models that are still under investigation. I would suggest that check the following:

1. Rebooot and enter Bios. Make sure the following is set up correctly.

2. Make sure that APIC is enabled and ver2.0 is supported. In simple terms, this is the software that assigns priority to all devices attatched to your motherboad. Please see Wikipedia for the heavy description. Ver2.0 is required for Vista to make sure that all your devices will be found during setup and running the OS. For those with some previous experiance, APIC takes care of assigning IRQ and DMA addressing to all system devices to make sure that every device can coomunicate with the system in order of priority. If you have a computer or motherboard made after 2005, this is almost assured to be an option. You can get Vista woring under Ver1.0.

3.Make sure that ACPI is enabaled. This is different than above. ACPI is what makes the computer go to "sleep" or "hibernate".  It is universal in computers after 2000. Make sure you have at least ACPI S1 enabaled. S3 is only possible in very custom system without headaches.

4. Make sure that MPS table 1.1 or 1.4 is selected. I recomend 1.1 from personal experiance. This only applies to those with dual-core systems. Please consult your computer/MB documentation.

5.Make sure that on-board video is disabled if availible. Please also disable quick/fast boot for your own sanity.

6. Now save and reboot. (Typically F10)

7. On reboot, after the machine has counted the system memory and found the hard drive, hit F8 to enter the windows boot menu. Your machine has not yet loaded up winodws from the hard drive, and is essentially no different than a machine with a blank hard drive. You want to choose safe mode with networking.

8. You will now see the system loading, line by line.

9. You will end up in Safe mode, but will now be getting a message of not being able to continue as setup was not completed. Please hit Shift-F10. This will leave you staring at the command prompt.

10. Type "devmgmt.msc" and the Device manager from the windows controll panel will show up. Look at the video card. Chance are it will not have an exclamation point like some devices. Feel free to load up drivers for anything needed from here if you know how to.

11. Right click on the video card entry and choose "Update Driver..." A wizard will  start to guid you through the proccess.

12. You will see "Can Windows connect to Windows Update to search for software?" Click "No, not this time"

13.Click Next, then click "Chhose from a list", now click next.

14. Select the generic VGA Driver and click next. Windows will now install the standard VGA driver. Click OK to close the wizard and then close the device manager. Now click ok to that old warning about winodws not finished installing. The system will reboot.

15. The system will now boot up without without hanging or faulting on your video cards driver. The machine may want to reboot one more time after setting up your settings. If it does, you may have to repeat the proccess above one more time.

16. After completing set-up, please install the video drivers of your choice. Please make a restore point first.

And the following update may be helpful, for your reference:

An update that improves the performance, responsiveness, and reliability of Windows Vista is available
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;943899

Hope it helps.

-----------------------------
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 7:25 AM

All replies

• Managed to complete on an XP install but on the first restart the computer crashes just after the 'Windows is starting for the first time' message.  It then continues to restart not too long after POST.  A week without a computer is an evil thing in this day and age!

Saturday, January 26, 2008 9:28 AM
  • Have completed on the Vista install now, on both drives.  When I try and boot from either of them I only get past the POST and to a black screen with a flashing curser.  No errors, restarting or anything it just hangs like this until I turn it off or restart it myself.

Anyone???

Monday, January 28, 2008 9:43 AM
  • Please...

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 2:00 PM
  • Hi,

Could you boot into the safe mode? If yes, please check that if any virtual device is installed. If there is,please remove them as a test. Nero may caused this issue too.

You may also like to check whether the video driver was installed properly.Both Nvidia and ATI based cards have known problems for certain models that are still under investigation. I would suggest that check the following:

1. Rebooot and enter Bios. Make sure the following is set up correctly.

2. Make sure that APIC is enabled and ver2.0 is supported. In simple terms, this is the software that assigns priority to all devices attatched to your motherboad. Please see Wikipedia for the heavy description. Ver2.0 is required for Vista to make sure that all your devices will be found during setup and running the OS. For those with some previous experiance, APIC takes care of assigning IRQ and DMA addressing to all system devices to make sure that every device can coomunicate with the system in order of priority. If you have a computer or motherboard made after 2005, this is almost assured to be an option. You can get Vista woring under Ver1.0.

3.Make sure that ACPI is enabaled. This is different than above. ACPI is what makes the computer go to "sleep" or "hibernate".  It is universal in computers after 2000. Make sure you have at least ACPI S1 enabaled. S3 is only possible in very custom system without headaches.

4. Make sure that MPS table 1.1 or 1.4 is selected. I recomend 1.1 from personal experiance. This only applies to those with dual-core systems. Please consult your computer/MB documentation.

5.Make sure that on-board video is disabled if availible. Please also disable quick/fast boot for your own sanity.

6. Now save and reboot. (Typically F10)

7. On reboot, after the machine has counted the system memory and found the hard drive, hit F8 to enter the windows boot menu. Your machine has not yet loaded up winodws from the hard drive, and is essentially no different than a machine with a blank hard drive. You want to choose safe mode with networking.

8. You will now see the system loading, line by line.

9. You will end up in Safe mode, but will now be getting a message of not being able to continue as setup was not completed. Please hit Shift-F10. This will leave you staring at the command prompt.

10. Type "devmgmt.msc" and the Device manager from the windows controll panel will show up. Look at the video card. Chance are it will not have an exclamation point like some devices. Feel free to load up drivers for anything needed from here if you know how to.

11. Right click on the video card entry and choose "Update Driver..." A wizard will  start to guid you through the proccess.

12. You will see "Can Windows connect to Windows Update to search for software?" Click "No, not this time"

13.Click Next, then click "Chhose from a list", now click next.

14. Select the generic VGA Driver and click next. Windows will now install the standard VGA driver. Click OK to close the wizard and then close the device manager. Now click ok to that old warning about winodws not finished installing. The system will reboot.

15. The system will now boot up without without hanging or faulting on your video cards driver. The machine may want to reboot one more time after setting up your settings. If it does, you may have to repeat the proccess above one more time.

16. After completing set-up, please install the video drivers of your choice. Please make a restore point first.

And the following update may be helpful, for your reference:

An update that improves the performance, responsiveness, and reliability of Windows Vista is available
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;943899

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 7:25 AM
  • Originally I couldn't but I have now tried another IDE drive which I knew to be working and the install went straight through to the end.  On the first startup I get asked for a username and to set the time, etc.  Windows then checks my computer and loads a little further.  When it gets to this point it restarts or hangs.  I can get to Safe Mode now so I'll have a try at your suggestions and let you know how I get on (tonight if it works, tomorrow if not!)

Thanks for your help either way.

Rick

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 1:53 PM
  • Hi Rick,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as 'Answered' as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we'd love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Monday, February 11, 2008 6:14 AM
  • Hello again,

Apologies for the late reply!  Unfortunately, I've had no means of getting online except for work which, after noting some use on the techforums site, have decided to block it.

Okay, in reply the the suggestions;

No, I cannot get into safe mode, the system stops at crcdisk.sys and then restarts without any intervention.

After combing through the BIOS, I couldn't find anything relating to APIC so I couldn't ensure that this was enabled.

Under the ACPI settings, the BIOS apperas as so;

Suspend to RAM - [Disabled]

Restore on AC/Power Loss - [Power Off]

Ring-In Power On - [Disabled]

PCI Devices Power On - [Disabled]

PS/2 Keyboard Power On - [Disabled]

RTC Alarm Power On - [Disabled]

I couldn't find anything relating to the 'MPS Table'.

There is no on-board video on my motherboard, however, I have tried using both a Radeon 2600XT 512mb PCI Express card and a Radeon X1500 256mb PCI Express Card and neither shows any differences to the activities of the system.

Trying to enter safe mode with or without support still causes it to stop at crcdisk.sys.

I've now managed to get back my internet access on a really old laptop at home after it was taken away until now.

Thanks for your help and I wait for any further suggestions...

Kind regards

Rick

Sunday, March 2, 2008 9:21 PM
  • Hi Rick,

I have performed more research on this issue. According to the error codes, if it was not caused by BIOS settings, it is most likely due to installation resource media. Please check whether the installation disk is clean and check is there any scrach.

If possible, please reburn the ISO at 1x speed as a test.

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Monday, March 3, 2008 9:16 AM
  • Hiya

The disc is an original Windows Vista Basic 32-Bit OEM version.

It has no scratches or blemishes at all although I have experienced errors inidcating that the disc is damaged.  The disc has worked on another system perfectly (after my erros first started) which rules out any problems relating to the disc.

I'm not sure what reburn the ISO means.

Cheers

Rickee

Monday, March 3, 2008 5:03 PM
  • Hi Rickee,

Based on my experience, I strongly recommand to change another installation media at first. Reburn the ISO means that, if possible, make anther copy of your Windows Vista disc by DVD burner.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 8:33 AM
  • Okay,

I have couple of copies of xp I can use.

I'll let you know on the outcome...

Thursday, March 6, 2008 1:33 PM
  • Okay.

I have a couple of copies of XP I can try.

I'll let you know the outcome...

Thursday, March 6, 2008 1:33 PM
  • Okay, I can't get ANY CD/DVD of Windows to get to the startup screen  as it always crashes to a blue screen.

I've reverted back to my original IDE Hard Drive which is 80Gb.  I ran an install of Vista and went through the set up perfectly until it restarted for the first time.  After POST it got to the black screen with a flashing curser in the top left hand corner (as most computers have, where it usually stays for a second or two before continuing to load) but it doesn't continue to load.  Tapping or holding F8 doesn't get me to the boot options, I've tried a start up repair off the disc but that couldn't find anything, I tried to repair the mbr from the command prompt but still nothing so I'm just going over old ground again.

Any more advice at this point?

Saturday, March 8, 2008 7:40 AM
  • Hi,

This issue may due to the graphic driver's compatibility with Windows Vista. Could you able boot into safe mode and check the driver in device manager? If not, please try repluging the video card. And if possible, please use another graphic card as a test.

Monday, March 10, 2008 9:15 AM
  • No worries, I have another two I can try, I'll give them a go.

Cheers

Rickee

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 11:44 AM
  • Hi again,

Tried a Radeon X1500 PCI-e and an old AGP card I found, both were mentioned during startup but got to the same point and stopped.

I can't get into safe mode either.

Anything else?

Thanks

Rickee

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 7:28 PM
  • Hi Rickee,

I would like to suggest that you check the following:

1. Go to BIOS settings and try that load safe settings.

2. Upgrad the BIOS to newest version as a test.

3. Remove all unnecessary hardware.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:06 AM
  • Hello again,

There's no such thing as 'safe settings' within my BIOS menu, I can only load the optimal defaults which I have done but unsuccessfully.

I would need a little instruction on how to upgrade the BIOS without the computer working.  I can say that the motherboard has had the BIOS upgraded already due to a slight incompatability with the processor (E2140) Dual Core Pentium 1.8Ghz.  Although, I must say, without the update, the computer booted fine, the first time I put it all together and allowed me to download and install the latest BIOS with no problem.  I haven't flashed the BIOS yet if you think that could be a contributary factor to my problem.

All unnecessary hardware has been removed previously with no success.

Thanks

Rickee

Thursday, March 13, 2008 9:05 PM
  • Hi Rickee,

Please contact your motherboard manufactor about how to upgrade the BIOS.

By the way, based on my experience and research, this kind of issue is most like due to hardware incompatability, so I suggest try it. Also, please check in BIOS settings and make sure there are no any IRQ conflict between videocard and other device.

Thanks.

Monday, March 17, 2008 7:05 AM
  • Hi i was reading this and i have the same problem and nothing seems to work.
    every problem that Rickee has, i have to. is ther anything else i can do?

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:29 PM
  • Hi markknip,

I am not quite sure about what the problem you are exactly meeting? The error like his first post or can not reboot as his current issue?

I'd recommend that you start up a new thread for your question, and include more details(for example, the exact symptom, the error code, what troubleshooting steps you had performed) please. 

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 7:04 AM
  • hi friends,

i am also facing the same problem with error code 1X80070057.

by seeing this just i checked my BIOS and found APIC with S3 enabled.

but i didnt find MPS table.

coming to safe mode, we didn't loaded operating system, then how can we enter into safemode and check device manager.

without loading operating system, just we can find errors like boot manager missing or operating system missing.

plz help me regarding this, it is very urgent for me.

Thanks in advance.

.........Bala

Saturday, September 13, 2008 8:25 PM
  • friends,

when i am installing in my system directly through cd, there is no problem.

if i am installing thorough network as unattended installation, at that time only i am getting this problem.

now i awant to know exactluy what is this error means... 0X80070057.

...Bala

Saturday, September 13, 2008 9:14 PM
  • This problem was never sorted in the end.  I upgraded and got a newer computer with a pre-installed copy of Vista Ultimate.

Can my original copy of Vista Basic (which is clearly a bad copy and as such will never be used by anyone again) be exchanged for a working copy?
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 8:06 PM