How to configure to do Copy using ctrl + ins and Past shift +ins RRS feed

• Question

• I have two windows 7 laptops .
    Without extra software one of them accepts ctrl + ins   as copy to clipboard, and shift + ins   as past from clipboard.
    I would like the other windows 7 laptop also to behave like that, without adding extra software.
    The first laptop proves to me that this should be possible
    Perhaps its not an official shortcut, but i dont mind i've grown up wih these shortcuts and as proven by the first laptop windows 7 still supports it
    However where can i enable this on the other laptop ?

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:50 PM

Answers

• the keys work i can use the ins key and ctrl key for other things

I checked the registry, there is no "Scancode" registry hive in the place, or a value named like that.
    Also using find in regedit i cannot such key or value in another place.

==================================update===========
    I might have solved it by accidence
    The original laptops where Dutch language  with a dutch keyboard and an optional us international keyboard.
    I added English (united states) as a language including with a US international keyboard. (for spell-checking reasons).

After this the problem seams to have disappeared.
    Even though i still left Dutch as the default language... its a bit weird solution?.. but it works

And also just as a side note there was no Office installed on these laptops, so it was something related purely to windows 7
    • Edited by PGT2008 Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:53 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Marcello Rungi Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by PGT2008 Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:51 PM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I’m afraid there’s no support for Microsoft to change the default shortcut key on Windows 7.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:04 AM
  • Wrong answer, as i am using both sytems default configured., they are the same versions off windows 7 too.
    Both became pre-installed Windows 7, with no additional software to change keyboard behavior.

One laptop is a normal version of windows 7 where this always default worked, i never had to configure it.
    There it was default to accept ctrl+ins and shift+ins as for copy and paste
    I never had to configure it on that machine, so that is how windows 7 can apparently default work.

Now i like the other windows 7 laptop also to behave like that, to achieve my user experience satisfaction.
    I dont believe this cannot be changed.
    Since the other laptop has no problem with it, and defaults to behave like that.

• Edited by PGT2008 Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:54 PM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:53 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my misunderstanding.

Base on my test, Windows 7 can use Ctrl+ins to copy and Shift+int to paste.

That behavior don’t need to install any third party tools or program. So you could use this behavior on any other Windows 7 machine.

Did you met any problem when using ctrl+ins and shift+ins on other Windows 7 PC?

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 28, 2013 2:44 AM
  • Yes indeed, i have some machines on which it works and others on which it doesnt work.
    To me it seams completely random some can do it and other not, even on new machines.
    A brand new Asus laptop for example no software on it doesnt support it, on contrast a new sony vayo did support it.
    i've seen different behaviours too on other machines, some do and others dont.
    Monday, January 28, 2013 5:19 PM
  • Hi

Do the keys work as expected when used separtely from each other? In other words: does CTRL work correctly when combined with other keys and does INSERT switch between insert and overtype mode? - E.g. when you're typing something in Wordpad or MS Word - assumed this is enabled in Word options.

Is there some scancode map applied?
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout\Scancode Map

Lg
    Marcello

Monday, January 28, 2013 10:43 PM
  • the keys work i can use the ins key and ctrl key for other things

I checked the registry, there is no "Scancode" registry hive in the place, or a value named like that.
    Also using find in regedit i cannot such key or value in another place.

==================================update===========
    I might have solved it by accidence
    The original laptops where Dutch language  with a dutch keyboard and an optional us international keyboard.
    I added English (united states) as a language including with a US international keyboard. (for spell-checking reasons).

After this the problem seams to have disappeared.
    Even though i still left Dutch as the default language... its a bit weird solution?.. but it works

And also just as a side note there was no Office installed on these laptops, so it was something related purely to windows 7
    • Edited by PGT2008 Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:53 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Marcello Rungi Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by PGT2008 Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:51 PM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:45 AM