none
Disabling the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer 11 RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to know if I can delete (e.g., rename) my 32-bit IE installation, thus forcing the system to run ONLY the 64-bit version. My IE 11 (on Win7) hangs several times per day, and it's almost always the 32-bit that's the "faulting application." The faulting module varies (frequently MSHTML.dll), but I wonder if there isn't a crossing of wires, so to speak -- some sort of contention between the two IE versions that's causing the hangs, crashes, and even a BSOD.

In terms of memory allocation, per Task Manager a short while ago, the first 6 instances of iexplore.exe were all 32-bit, a single instance of 64-bit, then several more 32s.

If anyone knows the ramifications of my making the 32-bit version "invisible," and, indeed, what would be the best way to go about it, I would really appreciate it.

Sunday, May 25, 2014 7:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

"some sort of contention between the two IE versions that's causing the hangs, crashes, and even a BSOD."........ wrong assumption...

that's an incompatible IE Addon...probably a 32bit version.... you don't see it when running in EPM because the addon vendor does not have a 64bit version.

Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions"

(close and restart IE for the full changes to take effect).

.... the first step in troubleshooting IE issues is to test in noAddons mode.

or

Start>Control Panel>Programs and Features.... locate any Installed addons that you don't need or use or which were installed near the date when the issues first started,and uninstall them....

Post consumer questions about IE to http://answers.microsoft.com (Help>Online Support menu from IE).

Regards.

Rob^_^

Monday, May 26, 2014 4:51 AM
  • Hi,

AppLocker would be an option:

Create a Rule that Uses a Path Condition

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee791814(WS.10).aspx

just restrict the usage of path C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 26, 2014 11:34 AM
  • Is Enhanced Protected Mode enabled or disabled?

You will find Consumer-specific support for IE11/Win7 in this forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-windows_7

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 8:47 PM
  • Thank you Rob, Alex, and PA Bear for your swift replies. 

I've been impressed with how nice, how helpful everyone is on these MS sites, as you've been to me. I've looked in on several of them, but this was my first post. Thanks for putting up with me for a bit.

Anyway, the easiest response first:  PA Bear, "Enhanced Protected Mode" is not enabled. Should it be? Rob mentioned EPM.

Alex, I can scarcely wait to try AppLocker. Maybe this weekend. I will let you know what happens.

Rob, I tried your suggestion the day you posted it -- unchecking "Enable third-party browser extensions." I downloaded Java 64-bit, which I had been planning, then I ran CHKDSK, also planned earlier. Less than 30 minutes after I logged back on -- hadn't used IE, but it had restored my last tabs -- I got an Application Error:
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE and
    Faulting module path: C:\windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\Flash32_12_0_0_77.ocx

Over the past year of App Logs  I had 2 like this with prior version of Flash.

I rechecked the option, then decided to delete my browsing history. The completion msg appeared. I clicked Apply, and it grayed. I clicked OK, but nothing happened. I couldn't get out of Internet Options. Had to close down IE. I'm definitely not saying the 3d-party option had anything to do with it; I'm saying I think I have an unstable IE. And it's running as 32-bit.

=====================

I can't call my single experience a "test in noAddons mode." I'll try again soon, running it for a week at least to see if the hang frequency is reduced over my current setup. Because this all started – in a much smaller way – more than a year ago I can't really say when the first occurrence was, nor correlate that with software installations.( I'm pretty restrained about acquiring new software.) I do know that I felt compelled to start detailed monthly maintenance logs last June which may help me. Application Log goes back, as of today, to 15 Jun 2013, System Log to  5 Sep 2013.

Thanks, Ada

Friday, May 30, 2014 4:59 AM
  • 1. Is Adobe Flash Player v13.0.0.214 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

2. Does the behavior persist after Resetting IE11 per the MANUAL instructions on this page, followed by a reboot? => http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

TIP: For optimal results, check/enable the Delete personal settings option.

3. What Update Version & KB number are displayed in the second line of text in IE11's Help | About [Alt+H+A] tab; e.g., Update Version: 11.0.54 (KB1231231) ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cite:

Understanding Enhanced Protected Mode [in IE10 & higher]
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2012/03/23/understanding-ie10-enhanced-protected-mode-network-security-addons-cookies-metro-desktop.aspx

How to Enable 64-bit Processes for Enhanced Protected Mode in Internet Explorer 11 (IE11)
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/32024-internet-explorer-11-enable-64-bit-tab-processes-epm.html

How to Enable 32-bit or 64-bit IE10/IE11 in Win7
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/280434-internet-explorer-10-enable-32-bit-64-bit-ie10-windows-7-a.html

[Confused yet?]

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Friday, May 30, 2014 4:12 PM
  • 1)  Thanks for calling attention to the Flash Player update. I've installed it.<o:p></o:p>

3)  Internet Explorer 11 v 11.09600, Updt Ver: 11.0.8 (KB2953522)  (About should let me know when I finally have 64-bit ascendant.)<o:p></o:p>

I will turn on EPM and give it a try. I had already enabled it for Internet Zone, but hadn't enabled it under Security on the Advanced tab. Hmm.<o:p></o:p>

2)  I will save this pending the results of running 64-bit IE under EPM. It's something I'm reluctant to do, simply because these settings have been with me since early XP (Yes, I know, the OS has changed.), and because I don't believe in making wholesale changes to any system without a really, really good reason.<o:p></o:p>

No, I did not get confused. (Believe me, I'm not being confrontational.) Quick background:  I have been (was) in IT long before there was "IT" or "Computer Science." My first coding was done in "Flair" during my lunch hours at Lockheed. Their Nuclear Physics lab sent me to learn FORTRAN, which I had to teach myself after the week's class was over, but in an advanced FORTRAN that followed (77?) I even figured out how I could program at the bit level to save some mis-transcribed data. (I wasn't in the sacred circle that had clearance to program in assembler.) I've done assembler language on IBM and VAX mainframes, taught myself Oracle and eventually programmed, did analysis (design phase), taught, and was an Oracle DBA. I do vaguely remember trying some assembler language for my own amusement on the first two IBM PC models, but other than progressing through the various Microsoft OSs (Missed out on Vista!) I've done nothing with MS internals. I'm down to writing VB macros for myself and friends to automate stand-alone processes. (How many of those can there be?)<o:p></o:p>

I still love a challenge, and right now that challenge is to keep my 2-yr old laptop going as efficiently and as long as possible. I know (and knew) that the technet sites are for computer professionals, which I'm not, but I didn't see the kinds of answers I sought on the other MS sites I looked in on. When I find the solution to the hangs, I have other questions that I'll put to Answers, as you and Rob have "suggested." (I'm chuckling as I write.)<o:p></o:p>

Thank you so much for your suggestions and links – and time taken to pass them on to me. I'll provide feedback, if that's OK.<o:p></o:p>

Regards,<o:p></o:p>

Ada<o:p></o:p>

Saturday, May 31, 2014 11:31 PM
  • My Add-Ons:

•  Search Providers:  Google,  Bing,  AVG Secure Search,  Ask Search,  Ask Web Search,  Conduit Search (Default)
    • Accelerators:  E-mail with Windows Live,  Map with Bing,  Translate with Bing      [Came with the territory; not using any of them]

Toolbars and Extensions             (I'm afraid this will be a mess. Sorry.)

Name

Publisher

Status

Architecture

File date

Version

Shockwave Flash Object

Adobe Systems Inc

Enabled

32-bit and 64-bit

‎‎3/‎29/‎2014
    5/30/2014

MSS+ Identifier

McAfee, Inc

Enabled

32-bit and 64-bit

9/‎06/‎2013

XML DOM Document

Microsoft Corp

Enabled

32-bit and 64-bit

12/‎05/‎2013

Groove Folder   Synchronization

Microsoft Corp

Disabled

32-bit and 64-bit

12/‎18/‎2013

Groove GFS Browser Helper

Microsoft Corp

Disabled

32-bit and 64-bit

12/‎18/‎2013

Silverlight

Microsoft Corp

Enabled

32-bit and 64-bit

2/‎13/‎2014

Office Document Cache   Handler

Microsoft Corp

Enabled

32-bit and 64-bit

3/‎06/‎2013

Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper

Microsoft Corp

Disabled

32-bit and 64-bit

3/‎29/‎2011

Blog This in Windows Live   Writer

Not Available

Disabled

32-bit

Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper

Oracle America, Inc.

Enabled

32-bit and 64-bit

5/‎27/‎2014

Java(tm) Plug-In SSV   Helper

Oracle America, Inc.

Enabled

32-bit and 64-bit

5/‎27/‎2014

Sun Java Console

Oracle America, Inc.

Disabled

32-bit

5/‎27/‎2014

RealNetworks Download &   Record Plugin for Internet Explorer

RealNetworks, Inc.

Disabled

32-bit and 64-bi

4/‎06/‎2014

FlashGetBHO

Trend Media Corp, Ltd

Enabled

32-bit

1/‎06/‎2012  3/27/2014

FlashGet is invoked only for very large (>1 GB), usually compressed files that would otherwise take forever. I disable seldom- and never-used services, and generally try to have as little as possible running that I can control. Windows, etc, is/are big enough without having an asteroid belt of unused software as well.

Any suggestions for me? Everything seems pretty much mainstream except for FlashGet, which wasn't installed until 27 Mar. My problems with IE are of at least a year's standing, altho more frequent and severe more recently.

Thank you for looking this over.

Regards,

Ada

Sunday, June 1, 2014 12:07 AM
  • Is this your personal computer?

I don't like those references to Ask.com search and I really don't like to see Conduit Search "hijackware" in that list at all, let alone as the Default! Their presence may have something to do with the problems you've been seeing. See, e.g., http://goo.gl/PMePZo and/or http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/company/blog/how-to-remove-search-protect-by-conduit-ltd

PS: Why is FlashGet installed when IE9 & higher includes a Download Manager? => http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-download-manager-internet-explorer 

[For years, users were griping that IE8 & lower "needs a Download Manager" and now that it has one, everybody's still using third-party Download Managers. <shrug>]

Sunday, June 1, 2014 1:19 AM
  • Yes, it is.

I was surprised to see the Ask searches. You know how some companies always push Ask or Google with their downloads? Once or twice at most I may have failed to uncheck the choice box. But each time I've realized it and thought I'd gotten rid of everything connected to them. When I saw this display I initiated the search to root Ask out.

As for Conduit Search and AVG -- I have no idea where they came from or why Conduit is my default. I have been asleep at the wheel. I'll check out the links you sent and take care of them, too.

"PS: Why is FlashGet installed when IE9 & higher includes a Download Manager?"  Because I'm ignorant.
    I'll read up on it and try it out in a time trial between the two the next time I have a big file to download.  How interesting. Suddenly my Enter key doesn't work. Neither of them. But it works in Word. Both of them do.

Whoops! It's back. I had better knuckle down over the next couple of days to solve my issues.

Sorry about the "stream of consciousness" missive. And again, thank you very much.

Ada

Sunday, June 1, 2014 5:20 AM
  • You'd be much better off posting in this Consumer-specific forum, Ada => http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-windows_7

There are also Virus & Malware-specific forums: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum

Sunday, June 1, 2014 5:16 PM
  • I took care of the search invaders, and I did go to the Virus & Malware forum where I saw several of your posts.

Actually the responses here have given me the launch I needed, I think, and I should be able to do my testing-tinkering on my own with respect to IE.

Thank you so much for all your help. I'll come back to the site in probably 2 weeks to mark "answered" to the 64- vs 32-bit thing if I feel it's all right.

Regards,

Ada

Sunday, June 1, 2014 9:31 PM