none
Can't activate Windows 7 KMS key on our Windows 2008 KMS server? RRS feed

• Question

• We have tried activating our new Windows 7 KMS key on our Windows 2008 KMS server with the the following command but it give this error,

c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk *****-*****-*****-*****

Error is     Run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0xC004F050' to display the error text.
                    Error: 0xC004F050

Friday, August 7, 2009 5:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• I have experienced the same problem. Running the suggested 'slui.exe' command results in the description:

The Software Licensing Service reported that the product key is invalid.

I'm using a product key from my MSDN Subscriptions page for Windows 7 Enterprise, type AV2 (AA KMS).  Hoping Microsoft will soon have a fix...

Stephen
    Friday, August 7, 2009 6:15 PM
  • Same here, but I'm using Windows Server 2003 for my KMS, which docs say I can even for the new Windows 7 KMS key we just got today.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>cscript slmgr.vbs /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
    Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved.

Error: 0xC004F050 The Software Licensing Service reported that the product key i
    s invalid

-Polen

Friday, August 7, 2009 6:40 PM
  • Same problem here.

Trying to import Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 KMS keys on a Server 2003 KMS.
    Friday, August 7, 2009 8:36 PM
  • There is an update that needs to be applied to your KMS Host before it will accept a Win7 or Win2008R2 key as valid. It doesn't look like that update has been posted yet because all the documentation on technet is still pointing to microsoft.com/downloads. Hopefully MSFT will get this sorted out in the next week or so, if I remember correctly mvls customers aren't supposed to have access to Win7/2008R2 until next week.
    Friday, August 7, 2009 9:07 PM
  • I just spoke with my TAM and he provided this information:

http://blogs.technet.com/hied_west_blog/archive/2009/07/27/windows-7-and-windows-server-2008-r2-availability-kms-updates.aspx

So it looks like if you are a 2003 KMS host it will be available on the 11th and the 25th if you are a 2008 KMS host.
    • Proposed as answer by Dasgooch Friday, August 7, 2009 10:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas LiModerator Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:35 AM
    Friday, August 7, 2009 10:02 PM
  • We are running Windows server 2008 Service Pack 2 with the KB968912 update installed.
    We applied the correct KMS key on the server.

We did not get any error message !!

Still Windows 7 could not activate...

We got the error :

0xc004f074 : The KMS server is unavailable...

Can we troubelshoot what's goiing wrong ?

Our Vista clients can activate through the same server without problems (yet..)

Thanks,

Monday, August 31, 2009 12:43 PM
  • Hello u0046038,
    Start and stop the SLSVC service
    from an elevated cmd prompt.
    Net stop SLSVC
    Net start SLSVC

Then see if the Windows 7 clients can activate
    Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 8:33 PM
  • Hello,

I tried to install a windows7-KMS-Key under a Windows 2008 SP2 Enterprise x64 (german) with kb968912 (from 02.09.2009) and followed the instruction from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968912/en-us inclusive reboot and restart of the services. But still get the following error: 0xc004f015.

I’ve got the same problem with a Vista-KMS-Key.

On a Windows 2008 Standard x64 with activated KMS-Host for Windows 2008 SP2+kb968912 - same error: 0xc004f015.

On a windows7-Client it works without problems.

Probably an x64-Problem!?

Do anyone have experience with KMS-Host on a W2K8 –x64?

Wednesday, September 2, 2009 5:30 PM
  • Hello Loisel,
    It sounds like you are entering a client key on a server operating system.  If your KMS host is WIndows Server 2008 you need to enter a Server KMS host host key.
    You can only install Windows 7 and Windows Vista KMS host keys on Windows Vista or Windows 7 machines.
    A Windows Server 2008 R2 KMS host key will active both Windows VIsta and Windows 7 KMS clients as well as whatever level of server that key supports
    Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 8:14 PM
  • Hi Darrell,

We did stopped the SLSVC services several times.
    We did restarted the server several times.

Still no go...

I'm very sure that we entered the correct KMS 7 server key.

When we run wireshark on the client, we see that the client can access the KMS server.
    (TCP connection are fine)
    (so no firewall issues, the kms is running perfect for our vista clients...)

But at the line of MSRPC (in wireshark) there are some mentions : 'unknown'

I don' know what this is about...

Thanks,

Gert
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 11:24 AM
  • Hi,

I've just had the same problem and resolved it.  KMS server on 2008 SP2 (x64) and Windows 7 (x86) is the client.

On the server:

• Ensure KB968912 is installed
    • Type slmgr -DLV and check to see that "VOLUME_KMS_R2_B" or similar is installed, this your code from the MS licensing site
    • Type slmgr -ATO

On the workstation:

• Change the license code to that detailed on this site http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772269.aspx#EPB

That worked for me.  The problem for me was that I didn't use the slmgr -ATO command on the server.  This server had previously been using the normal 2008 code, not the R2 and I had assumed that i didn't need to activate it again... but I was wrong.

My Windows 7 machine is now activated using my 2008 SP2 (not R2) server.

Hope this helps.
    Roger

• Proposed as answer by Luka Krajcek Sunday, September 6, 2009 8:20 PM
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 11:30 PM
  • Hello Gert,
    We have seen some instances where the KMS host key was uninstalled then reinstalled to resolve this issue.
    slmgr /upk <product key>
    slmgr /ipk <product key>

unconfirmed whether a stop and restart of the service is needed after the change of the key.
    net stop slsvc
    net start slsvc
    Friday, September 4, 2009 5:44 PM
  • Hi Darrell,

1. Just unstalled the previous KMS host key
    2. restart the software license service
    3. Installed the new KMS host key
    4. restarted the software license service
    5. run the slmgr -dlv on the server
    6. run the slmgr -ato on the server
    5. rebooted the server

Everything went fine... BUT the client still could not activate :

We got the error :

0xc004f074 : The KMS server is unavailable...

Can't we check some kind of log to be sure what is going wrong....
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 7:56 AM
  • Hi Darrell,

extra to previous message :

I installed the Windows Server 2008 KMS host key NOT the windows Server 2008 R2 key (because I'm not running R2)

Gert

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:02 AM
  • Hello Gert,
    The Windows Server 2008 key will not activate Windows 7 clients.  You would need the Windows Server 2008 R2 key to be able to activate Windows 7 kms clients
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:32 PM
  • Darrell,

Thanks !

It's working...

Gert
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:26 PM
  • Hello Darrell. Does this mean you have to purchase a copy of windows server 2008 R2 in order to get a Windows Server R2 KMS key?

We Currently have a standard 2008 SP2 server which hosts our KMS Server and like everyone else I am also trying to activate windows 7 clients.

Regards

Colin
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 11:10 AM
  • Hello Colin,
    You get the KMS host key for Windows Server 2008 R2 as part of your Volume License agreement, so Windows Server 2008 R2 would need to be part of that.
    See the Planning Guide
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd878528.aspx

Choosing the KMS host section points to which keys can be installed on which OS as the KMS host
    So with a Windows 7 KMS host key, it can be installed on Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows Server 2003.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:50 PM
  • Hello Darrell,

Is this solution only working on Windows 2008 x64 system (not R2)?
    I tried importing Windows 2008 R2 KMS key so many times on a Windows 2008 SP2 x86 system with KB968912 installed and it never accepted.
    With the original Windows 2008 KMS key i only saw "VOLUME_KMS_B" not "VOLUME_KMS_R2_B" in -DLV output.
    I am going to reinstall that server to a x64 system and hope it will work.
    The point here is i guess x86 Windows 2008 system will never take a x64 R2 KMS key because R2 is available in x64 ONLY.

Sel.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:15 AM
  • Hello Omao,
    The keys were supposed to be platfrom agnostic so the same key would work in x86 as in x64.
    What error message were you getting?
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 6:54 PM
  • Hi Darrell,

I'm still a little confused after reading the thread. I have two KMS hosts running on Windows 2008 SP2 x64 that have KMS 2.0 installed. KB968912 is applied.  The servers have been rebooted and I successfully ran commands:
    "cscript C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs -ato"
    "net stop slsvc && net start slsvc"

After which I was able to install Windows 2008 R2 keys (I was not before KB968912) but when I try to install Windows 7 keys I get:
    Error code: 0xC004F015
    Description: The Software Licensing Service reported that the license is not installed.

If I understand table 5 in:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd878528.aspx#E3IAC

Then we can only activate Windows 7 clients from a KMS host that is running one of the following OSes:
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    KMS for Windows Server 2003 v1.2

Can you confirm that if we want to activate Windows 7 KMS client then we need to put up a third KMS server running one of those OSes?

If that's true, do you know how that will affect clients connecting via DNS since only 1/3 of the time will Windows 7 hit the correct KMS host and 2/3 the of the time our production servers will hit the correct KMS host?

Thank you for your time and information!
    -Elijah

Update:
    Running "cscript C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs -dlv" produces
    Description: Windows Operating System - Windows Server(R), VOLUME_KMS_R2_B channel
    • Edited by Elijah Gagne Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:07 PM Additional information
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:54 PM
  • Hello Elijah,
    Since you have a Windows 2008 Sp2 KMS host, if you enter a Windows Server 2008 R2 KMS host key on that KMS, that would activate Window Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008  and Windows Server 2008 R2 kms clients.
    From your output, "Windows Server(R), VOLUME_KMS_R2_B channel", you are running the correct key, so you should be activating Windows 7 clients.  Are they not activating?
    • Proposed as answer by Elijah Gagne Friday, October 30, 2009 8:35 PM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:28 PM
  • Hi Darrell,

I just got a Windows 7 client up. I ran:
    cscript C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs -ato

and got:
    Error: 0xC004F074 The Software Licensing Service reported that the computer could not be activated. The Key Management Service (KMS) is unavailable

In reading:
    http://blogical.se/blogs/mikael_sand/archive/2009/08/11/error-0xc004f074-when-activating-windows-7-enterprise.aspx

It suggests changing my product key, although I don't know what I'd change it to.

Thanks for your help!
    Elijah

Update:
    On the KMS host side, in event viewer I got event id 12290, with Info: 0xC004F041,25,*...(removed)
    • Edited by Elijah Gagne Friday, October 30, 2009 8:33 PM update
    Friday, October 30, 2009 8:26 PM
  • Success, I just ran:
    net stop slsvc && net start slsvc
    cscript C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs -ato

On both KMS hosts and it now activated! Not sure why that did the trick since I'm pretty sure I did that after installing the LAKs.

Thanks!
    Elijah
    • Proposed as answer by ulaanbatraas Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:54 AM
    Friday, October 30, 2009 8:37 PM
  • Hello Darrell,

Thanks for the reply.
    It turns out that the key is incorrect. I have my co-worker check online and get a new one. The new one works.
    And after slmgr.vbs -ato, I do have to restart software licening service. then my Windows 2008 SP2 (not R2) x86 server finally starts to respond Windows 7 activation requests correctly.

Friday, October 30, 2009 11:30 PM
  • I did this but now and it finally accepted the /ipk xxx-xxxx-xxxxx command but once I try to activate it via  /ato, I get an error that says

0x80072EEF
    The login request was denied

Any help would be great thanks
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 8:19 PM
  • Just to clarify if you have a Win 7 KMS host key you can only install this on a machine running Windows 7.  You must have a Windows Server 2008R2 Std/Ent KMS B host key if you want to use a Windows Server 2008R2 server as your KMS host.  A single 2008R2 host key will activate 2008R2 servers and Windows 7 clients.
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 2:40 PM
  • http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=91151&clcid=0x0409
    Saturday, October 30, 2010 5:22 PM
  • This is the error i am getting will it go away after my 25 activations is reached.

Code:

0xC004C008

Description:

The activation server determined that the specified product key

Could not be used.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:49 PM
  • Hello K Sosa,

That  error means you are using the KMS host key on multiple client machines and you have exceeded the number or activations alloted to setup KMS hosts.  Each machine that activated with that key is now a KMS Host.  Any KMS clients will be scattered amonst those KMS host machines so the count on any of those machines would be low.

Use this list of keys for your KMS client machines

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793421.aspx

This is what is used for the default installation for VL for KMS clients, they are ready to be KMS clients after installation, the key does not need to be changed.

Now you should locate all the machines that were installed with that key

You can use the Volume Management Activation tool to query the machines to determine what type if key is installed, change the key and activate the machines

Product Activation Using Volume Activation Management Tool 2.0

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:45 PM
  • Hi Darrell, 

I have win 2008 r2 server, and I need to activate my windows 7 clients machine, I am getting the same error

"On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition, run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0xC
    004F015' to display the error text.
    Error: 0xC004F015"

I have win2k8 std KMS key and win 7 KMS key, 

Which one should I use.

Please help.

Thanks

Monday, November 5, 2012 5:52 AM
  • I have win 2008 r2 server, and I need to activate my windows 7 clients machine, I am getting the same error

"On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition, run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0xC
    004F015' to display the error text.
    Error: 0xC004F015"

I have win2k8 std KMS key and win 7 KMS key, 

Which one should I use.

Hi snrrk, if your KMShost server is running WindowsServer2008R2, you cannot use Server2008 nor can you use Windows7 - you must use an R2 KMShost pkey. The KMShost key must match or better the OS of your KMShost.
    For SRV2008R2, you can use only KMS_A or KMS_B or KMS_C pkeys

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Monday, November 5, 2012 7:00 AM
  • I believe the key it is asking for is the one from the following list:

Where ever you go, there you are.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 7:52 PM
  • I believe the key it is asking for is the one from the following list:

Where ever you go, there you are.

Hi @Tezdoll

I'm not sure which item you are responding to, but, the link you provided is to the KMSclient prduct keys, and these are not suitable for loading upon a KMShost.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:12 PM