Automatic Updates RRS feed

• Question

• I'm interested in using Steady state for clone machines we are going to send out to customers.
    There could be aproximatley 800 of these over the next year.
    One problem I have is where to turn automatic updates on or not.

I'd like to have them on for Security sake.  However history has taught us that Automatic Update is far from flawless.
    We've had Windows Updates patches which have rendered our SQL Server reports black, others that have made our software
    completely inoperable.  Other updates don't work at all and get stuck in a repetative loop.

If Steady State were to apply an update which caused one of these kind of issues, is there some easy way of reverting it back again?
    Is there also anyway of delaying the updates by a week so we can become aware of the problem before it happens 800 times, and with some extra random time variable
    so as to not have to support 800 clients all at once!

My guess is at the moment we're better off without the updates, but I'd like to hear how others do it.
    Equally the machines will be standalone with no administrators to speak off so they could become sitting ducks if certain updates are not applied.

Cheers
    Chris
    Friday, May 1, 2009 10:12 AM

Answers

• Dear Chris,

That is a lot clients!  As far as I know and understand, the Automatic Update feature that is included with Steady State is really no different the Windows Updates.  It basically goes out and fetches the high/critical security updates at set intervals that you determine.  It also seems to me that some things like IE, and Service Packs it won't do because it needs intervention on the users part to tell it to actually install those.  I did however set up all our Steady State Machines to Update once a week on Tuesdays at Nine PM (PST).  That is one we close at 8 PM, and two that is when our other non-steady State Machines update as well. 

I would recommend probably going with out the updates however, as that is a ton of machines to have to worry about, and depending on whether or not you use the drive protection in Steady State, the users will actually have to press a key to reboot the machine (at least this is what I have experienced)

Respectfully,

James Ghiorzi
    Library Assistant II
    San Benito County Free Library
    470 Fifth St.
    Hollister, CA 95023
    (831) 636-4107
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Friday, May 8, 2009 3:07 AM
    Friday, May 1, 2009 4:12 PM