How to Put Backup Images on a Home RAID RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I apparently put this in the wrong forum so hopefully this is the right spot for it here.

I'm using Vista Ultimate 64 in my home desktop.  A few days ago I performed a full image backup for the first time since early 2008 when my computer was new. Hooray for me, I thought, but I wanted to put the image onto an external DLink RAID that I use for archiving files.  Instead, it put it in the location I used before I purchased the RAID which is the largest of three partitions (E:) on my system drive. I'm now running out of space there so it has to come off somehow, but the program has no command to move the files it creates, nor would it even tell me what the file name was.  It just says it is on the E: drive.  The backup went successfully but I have no idea where it is or what it is called!

Please help me with these questions:

1.  What is the default file name format and extension?

2.  Why can't I find it?  Is it hidden?

3.  How can I move it to my RAID and make the RAID the default drive for all subsequent backups?

Thank you for your help!

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 3:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The default name should be your computer name with special recovery icon. Extension should be vhd but may not display.

You can assign location before the backup started.

Please open Backup and Restore, click create a system image, you can choose where to backup system regularly.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, September 9, 2011 10:21 AM
  • Hi Magon,

Many thanks for your response.  I have searched for *.vhd files and found none in my system.  Searching for hostname*.* finds a few hits but no image file, and certainly nothing close the size I'm expecting (300GB uncompressed for all three partitions).  I have also adjusted Folder Options to Show Hidden Files and Folders as well as system files and extensions.  I'm completely baffled by this.   How can Windows do a backup, give an acknowledgement that it completed successfully, and not tell the operator the file name or where it is located?

Also, when I click on Backup and Restore Center from Control Panel, I get buttons for "Backup Files" or "Backup Computer".  If I click on "Backup Computer" User Account Control then asks me to confirm that I initiated the program (annoying Vista habit).  Once confirmed the program searches for backup file locations and after a few seconds delivers a page asking "Where do you want to save the backup?" and delivers a drop-down list.  But the drop-down list only lists my E: partition, I presume because it is the only one big enough to contain a full backup.  It completely ignores the much bigger Dlink RAID which is attached via CAT5 to my DLink wireless router and serves as a constantly available network drive. 

I don't mind Microsoft's attempt to simplify the process but this goes too far.  I plan to install Win 7 soon, but cannot until I am fully assured that I have access to a full backup first, and without a file name, I don't have that assurance.  Am I doing something wrong here?

Baffled and bewildered,

kmpres

Sunday, September 11, 2011 5:52 AM
  • Do any of you guys have any insight on this?  Before loading Win 7 on top of Vista, exactly how do you backup your files?  Is what I've described above the normal behavior for the Vista Backup utility, or am I doing something wrong?  Can I trust Win 7 to restore my data after I load the Win 7 OS without being able to find the image file or not?  
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:41 PM