none
Hyper-V Error 0x80070050 Virtual Hard Disk already exists. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm new to this form and virtualization. I was able to create a Virtual computer with Hyper-V but ended up deleting it due to an error I couldn't resolve during the OS installation process. When I try to create a new virtual computer with the same name I get an error saying "The system failed to create a virtual hard disk (hard disk path and name .vhdx) the file already exists 0x80070050" I can not find that file anywhere to remove it even though I already deleted the virtual computer. Anyone ideas on how to fix this, I don't want to always have to make new unique names if I delete one to make a new one. I'm using this server to learn on and I will most likely be doing a lot of deleting and creations.

Thank you,

James

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 6:12 PM

All replies

• James,

Most likely under "c:\ProgramData\..." which is a hidden folder by default on your system. Look around under this directory - "c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Hyper-V" or something similar.

BTW - You can configure Hyper-V to tell it where to store the VHDs.

Regards,

-Steve

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 6:48 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Thank you for the response. I did look there but there is no .vhdx file in any of the folders. Any other idea's on what could be causing this?

Thank you,

James

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 9:23 PM
  • Have you changed the default folder path where you store the virtual machine config files and VHD disk files? Check your hyper-v settings to see where your paths are located.

Pete

• Edited by leopete Tuesday, January 6, 2015 9:39 PM
    Tuesday, January 6, 2015 9:36 PM
  • James,

If you open Hyper-V Manager you can select 'Action --> Hyper-V Settings'. The first 2 options determine where your Hard Disks files and VMs get stored. Check where that location is and see if it contains your old vhdx file.

-Steve 

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 9:38 PM
  • Steve,

Just tried that, no file... I always seem to find hard problems.

James

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 9:40 PM
  • Hi,

I did change the path but still can't find the old file.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 9:41 PM
  • Jamey

Please forgive me but did you do a search for that vhdx file name? 

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 8:21 PM
  • Yes I did do a search, nothing came up. That is what the most confusing part for me is.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2015 9:36 PM
  • Is this server 2008 R2? This might be a stretch however Ive have had issues with windows UAC affecting the hyper-v manager.Change UAC to never notify and reboot the server then try again
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 4:45 PM
  • James, 

What you have to do is the file in there error, enter it into Run (Hope you know what that is) it will come up with your VM Files. Find the one you want to put in but is getting the error, and delete it. It worked for me.

Sincerely, 
                         Oak

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 10:42 PM