none
Scheduling for task with known work. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Each tutorial shows how to schedule a task - to enter the duration. I have a question about Task type and Planning Work / Duration for task.

Let's say that we have a project with programming tasks, e.g. task "Creating php geolocation class". First of all i think, that this type of task I should set as a task "Fixed work task" because I know that this job takes exacly 8 hours (duration of this task will be calculated by ms project).

The next step of planning is to tell ms project amount of work for this task (no duration). I created a new column "Work" in Gantt View. In general, the amount of duration will be calculated based on work and assigned resourse.

So, my question is: Can I schedule this type of task as a tasks with known work?

Monday, May 16, 2011 5:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Radek,

Which the version of MS Project? If you are sure that the task will take 8hrs only then you can make it as Fixed Work [this task type is Effort Driven by defualt] so based on the number of resources assigned it will calculate the Duartion.

And yes you can schedule this type of tasks, MS Project never lays restriction on the task type, it lets PM decide based on the scenario how to manage tasks. But PM needs to have eye on all the expected/unexpected calculations and ripple effects to get hold on the schedule.

Sapna S
    Monday, May 16, 2011 5:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Radek,

Which the version of MS Project? If you are sure that the task will take 8hrs only then you can make it as Fixed Work [this task type is Effort Driven by defualt] so based on the number of resources assigned it will calculate the Duartion.

And yes you can schedule this type of tasks, MS Project never lays restriction on the task type, it lets PM decide based on the scenario how to manage tasks. But PM needs to have eye on all the expected/unexpected calculations and ripple effects to get hold on the schedule.

Sapna S
    Monday, May 16, 2011 5:57 PM
  • Hi Sapna, thanks for your quick reply :)

I'm using MS Project 2010 Standard. I think that most of task in my projects are "Fixed work" type. I good know how many hours takes every task so I belive that setting "Fixed work" in MS Project settings is a good and correct idea. Does it?

Monday, May 16, 2011 6:09 PM
  • It does work perfectly, provided you keep track of all the ripple affect in change of duration with addition and deletion of Resources. Selecting a task type is entirely PM's choice based on the scenario. As you said you have already read many articles on Task types so I think you are good to go. Still if you ever get stuck you can always post a question here :)
    Sapna S
    Monday, May 16, 2011 6:12 PM
  • Sapna, thanks for your help :)
    Monday, May 16, 2011 6:19 PM
  • You are most Welcome Radek, please mark an appropriate answer that helped and close the thread.
    Sapna S
    Monday, May 16, 2011 6:22 PM