none
Looking for a web-based Project visualizer that is not PWA RRS feed

• Question

• We have a customer that wants to have a web-based visualization of one of our schedules.  There currently is an old tool out there that customer likes that we have inhereted where if you go through some gyrations, save the schedule down to v2003, you can view the schedule on the web.  Our developer tells me it is based on Powershell scripts.  The customer liked the capability, but our person that maintains that schedule tells me it is very laborious to prep the schedule to be used by the home-grown visualizer.

Are there any 3rd party visualizers out there that won't require every person in the enterprise to have a license?

Friday, August 29, 2014 1:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Paul-

I have seen the Housatonic viewer before.  It left me unimpressed, but maybe because I am used to using the client software.  I tried to load a schedule into their free link for evaluation and the result was jumbled.

I was unable to properly evaluate links for the Moosproject viewers.

It looks like I am going to need to get my IT people to authorize bailment copies for evaluations.  I will let you know how the review proceeds after I have a chance to give each one a proper test.

Thanks for the help,

Chris

• Edited by Chris Sobolewski Tuesday, September 2, 2014 2:06 PM gave the wrong person credit
    Tuesday, September 2, 2014 2:05 PM
  • Chris,

Not sure if this will fit your scenario, but have you just tried syncing it to SharePoint Task List? If you are just looking for a web view, sharepoint does a good job of rendering it in a Gantt View..

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 2:33 PM
  • Prasanna - I am not familiar with this technique.  Do you have a link that explains the procedure?

Regards,

Chris

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 4:12 PM
  • Chris check out the link below

http://www.mpug.com/articles/slick-trick-a-spin-on-syncing-with-sharepoint/

Thursday, September 4, 2014 4:22 PM
  • Hi Prasanna -

My initial evaluation of the  ability to sync with SharePoint tasks is as follows:

• synching is done with a schedule in off-line mode [is it possible to do synching of schedules that are in Project Server w/o doing a save-as to a offline copy?]
    • schedules that are synch'd with SharePoint cannot have tasks with anything other than FS relationships with no lags.  The schedule cannot have any constraints.

Are my assessments true?  If so, then this will be highly restrictive.  

Chris

Monday, September 8, 2014 11:12 AM
  • After many fruitless hours, I am giving up on the synching with SharePoint Gantt concept.

Does anybody know if it is possible to buy floating PWA CALs?

Chris

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 2:26 PM
  • Hi Chris,

As far as I know, there is no concurrent user licensing available, meaning it is a license per user.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCP |

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 6:24 PM