floppy drive stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings to the forum, here's my problem:
    I have been using a USB floppy drive with no problem until I took out the USB floppy plug and plugged in a USB flash drive for someone else to use. The person was able to store her files on her flash drive. The flash drive was unplugged and the floppy drive plugged back in the same USB portal. Now I'm not sure that the "safely remove utility" was used the first time the floppy drive was unplugged. I have gone through the process of plugging in the flash drive and using the "safely remove" utility to stop and safely remove the flash drive more than once.
    My computer is crashing every time I try to use the floppy drive. This is the message I get: a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. A driver has overrun a stack-based buffer. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this computer."
    I made sure the flash drive was properly "removed" by inserting it and using the "safely remove" tool to stop the device. I finally tried a different USB port which has never been used before by any device and the A: drive floppy showed up in the "safely remove" window when I opened up the utility however the computer still crashed when I tried to access a floppy disk in the floppy disk drive.
    Any suggestions on a solution? Thanks.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 12:58 AM

All replies

• Greetings to the forum, here's my problem:
    I have been using a USB floppy drive with no problem until I took out the USB floppy plug and plugged in a USB flash drive for someone else to use. The person was able to store her files on her flash drive. The flash drive was unplugged and the floppy drive plugged back in the same USB portal. Now I'm not sure that the "safely remove utility" was used the first time the floppy drive was unplugged. I have gone through the process of plugging in the flash drive and using the "safely remove" utility to stop and safely remove the flash drive more than once.
    My computer is crashing every time I try to use the floppy drive. This is the message I get: a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. A driver has overrun a stack-based buffer. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this computer."
    I made sure the flash drive was properly "removed" by inserting it and using the "safely remove" tool to stop the device. I finally tried a different USB port which has never been used before by any device and the A: drive floppy showed up in the "safely remove" window when I opened up the utility however the computer still crashed when I tried to access a floppy disk in the floppy disk drive.
    Any suggestions on a solution? Thanks.
    ===============================================
    If you are still having this issue...maybe the following info will help:

The issue may be related to CA Anti-Virus

CA Anti-Virus Real Time Protection and Floppy Issues:
    http://homeofficeforum.ca.com/homeofficeforum/showthread.php?t=5713

John Inzer - MS-MVP - Digital Media Experience
    • Proposed as answer by Volunteer J Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:31 PM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:25 PM
  • Hi John, I do use CA antivirus. Thanks for your note. That possibly is what's causing my problem too. Now I have to keep watching the listserv for progress with getting CA to solve the problem successfully for everyone. It is strange that the problem did not show up for me until a different USB device was used in the same USB port as the floppy was in before the jump drive was inserted. Anyway I guess it's "stayed tuned" for everyone. Thanks again.
    Monday, November 2, 2009 3:03 PM
  • Hi John, I do use CA antivirus. Thanks for your note. That possibly is what's causing my problem too. Now I have to keep watching the listserv for progress with getting CA to solve the problem successfully for everyone. It is strange that the problem did not show up for me until a different USB device was used in the same USB port as the floppy was in before the jump drive was inserted. Anyway I guess it's "stayed tuned" for everyone. Thanks again.
    ================================
    You're welcome...

Thanks for the update.
    John Inzer - MS-MVP - Digital Media Experience
    • Proposed as answer by Volunteer J Monday, November 2, 2009 11:06 PM
    Monday, November 2, 2009 11:06 PM