none
Windows 10 Start Menu RRS feed

• Question

• I have a group on systems where I need to have tight control over the start menu. I have already locked down the start menu layout (the right half of Start) but am not finding enough control over the actual Start Menu (the left half).

With windows 7, I have redirected the start menu to a folder on the computer.  Only shortcuts that I place in that folder show up in the start menu.  With Windows 10, this works partly, but only for shortcuts to desktop applications.  In the start menu itself, I still see modern apps like 3d builder, that are not in the redirected start menu source folder.

How can I suppress the left hand start menu so that only items I choose for the user - the ones who's shortcuts I place in the redirected start menu folder show when the user opens start?

I am unable to figure out a way to hide the start menu items (again - left half of start menu stuff) for modern apps like 3dBuilder,Alarms & Clock, Camera, Get Started, Cortana  etc.  How can I manage those shortcuts?

Monday, October 30, 2017 2:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I found an article may give you some ideas, please refer to the link:

How to Make the Windows 10 Start Menu Look More Like Windows 7

https://www.howtogeek.com/197586/how-to-make-the-windows-10-start-menu-look-more-like-windows-7/

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 2:49 AM
  • Thanks for the link.  A lot has changed since that article was written.  I don't think it is up to date with the current situation in Windows 10. 

The linked article is mostly talking about removing tiles from the right hand side of the start menu - which is easily managed today by using custom start menu layouts. 

I am not concerned in my question about managing the right half of "Start"  I am concerned about the lack of ability to programmatically manage the left half of start.

The left half of the start menu appears to respect the redirected start menu policy for desktop applications, but does not respect that setting for the installed modern apps.

So the question remains, how are modern apps removed from the start menu? - Not the tiles section, that's easy.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 2:39 PM