IP Configuration issues with VM under Hyper-v in Win Serv 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have this environment:

One physical server with installed Win Serv 2008 R2 Standard, joined to a "domain.local", with 2 physical NICs (NIC1 and NIC2) but only NIC1 is connected to the network, and everything works perfect. After enabling Hyper-V, another instance of Win Serv 2008 R2 is installed as VM. During the setup process I skipped the network configuration of the guest VM. The wizard used the NIC1 to configure the network settings for the VM. Then, I connected NIC2 to the switch on a same VLAN as NIC1. I deleted the network configuration in Virtual Network Manager and created new Virtual Network (type: external) since I wanted only NIC2 to be used for connecting the VM's to the LAN and Internet, and NIC1 to stay dedicated physical connection only for the physical server. I left NIC2 to take IP from DHCP, and the Guest OS with a fixed IP from the same VLAN.

Now I have troubles, because VM does not connect to the internet and also the host OS have issues connecting to the Internet. Also when I ping the physical server by its name, I don't get response from the IP address assigned to NIC1 but from IP assigned to NIC2 by DHCP (dhcp is service running on another server). In the DNS forward lookup zone same name of the server is being registered with two different IP's.

What I want is: everything on the physical server to stay exactly same as before, and VM's to be connected through NIC2 with no interruptions between each other.

Monday, October 28, 2013 7:05 PM

All replies

• It seems there are no MVP's for Networking here.... very sadly!
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:21 PM
  • you have to create external network with NIC2 and make sure that its connected to machine.

Akshay Pate

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 10:02 AM