none
non genuine copy

Question

•   I bought a new computer a few years ago with a genuine copy of windows 7 ultimate . I did not change any hardware.  After being asked many times if I wanted to download windows 10, I decided to download it. It worked fine with no problems until I installed a Sony camcorder program that I had installed and used with no problem.  Windows 10 crashed.  I had a copy of the Windows 7 ultimate that came on the computer so I formatted and reinstalled it so I could use the Sony program.  After I did the updates, it came up that my copy  of windows 7 ultimate was not genuine.  If it was why wouldn't it be now. It was a OEM copy that came on the computer new.  I have done this before and never had a problem.  I didn't steal it or buy a non- genuine copy. It is the windows 7 ultimate  that came on the computer.

HELP

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 5:04 PM

All replies

• If you already installed and activated Windows 10, you could install it from:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Make sure you are installing correct bit (32/64) and edition.

If you want to activate Windows 7 and it failed, then try activation by phone. But I recommend use Windows 10.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 5:30 PM
  • Hi irunibike,

If you upgrade to windows 10 before July 29, 2016, you could perform a clean installation of windows 10 and then it will be activated automatically.

For Windows 7,  you can run “slmgr /rearm” and “slmgr /ato” as administrator to reset the activation information.

If the issue persists, it is recommended to ask for help from device manufacturer for an OEM version.

Best regards,
    Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:46 AM