Microsoft Office Starter is a 32 bit program, why was it sold with my 64 bit Window 7 PC? RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased my PC because it came with Microsoft Office 2010 (so said the advertisement). I installed the Microsoft Office Starter as I was prompted. There was no option to select my OS otherwise I would've selected Windows 7 64 bit. I noticed the program was installed as 32 bit and Word will not print my files. Why would you develop a 32 bit program to be sold on a 64 bit Operating System? Is there a 64 bit version I can download that I'm unaware of?
    Monday, January 2, 2012 8:48 PM

Answers

• hi,

this article will help you 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792.aspx

Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish
    • Marked as answer by Daisy Cao Friday, January 20, 2012 7:52 AM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 1:07 AM
  • Hi,

Office Starter 2010 is not a trial–it has a perpetual license that does not expire.Office Starter 2010 is an advertising-supported base productivity suite that is available only on new PCs. It must be preloaded on new PCs at the point of manufacture. Office Starter 2010 is not available for existing PCs at any time after manufacture; for example, Office Starter 2010 cannot be installed on new PCs being sold by resellers, even brand-new PCs. It will not be sold through distribution or available to end users as a standalone product.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/products/office/pages/office_2010_starter.aspx

So I recommended to contact computer manufacturer(OEM) customer service, you can find customer service phone number from manufacturer offical website.

Otherwise, you can consider upgrade to a complete Office 2010 suite.

Best Regards,

William Zhou CHN

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 8:26 AM

All replies

• hi,

this article will help you 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792.aspx

Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish
    • Marked as answer by Daisy Cao Friday, January 20, 2012 7:52 AM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 1:07 AM
  • Hi,

Office Starter 2010 is not a trial–it has a perpetual license that does not expire.Office Starter 2010 is an advertising-supported base productivity suite that is available only on new PCs. It must be preloaded on new PCs at the point of manufacture. Office Starter 2010 is not available for existing PCs at any time after manufacture; for example, Office Starter 2010 cannot be installed on new PCs being sold by resellers, even brand-new PCs. It will not be sold through distribution or available to end users as a standalone product.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/products/office/pages/office_2010_starter.aspx

So I recommended to contact computer manufacturer(OEM) customer service, you can find customer service phone number from manufacturer offical website.

Otherwise, you can consider upgrade to a complete Office 2010 suite.

Best Regards,

William Zhou CHN

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 8:26 AM
  •  

Hello,

As mentioned in the TechNet article, the 32-bit version of Office 2010 provides the same functionality and is also compatible with 32-bit add-ins. Therefore, the 32-bit version of Office 2010 is installed by default.

64bit Office has better performance when running a single Excel larger than 2GB and also better performance when using Project files. For normal use, 32bit Office did provide good performance and more compatibility with existing 32-bit add-ins.

So, don’t worry about the 32bit or 64bit, go and enjoy Office 2010 new features!

Daisy Cao

Friday, January 20, 2012 7:52 AM
  • For the issue Word does not print files, please check if the printer driver was successfully installed and try again.

Daisy Cao

Friday, January 20, 2012 7:55 AM
  • Im hunting for it as well, because its useful for deploying versions before you know what the purchase/what version they currently own.
    Saturday, March 8, 2014 4:57 PM
  • As has already been said, Office 2010 Starter is not sold through distributors or available to end users as a standalone product. It is available only on new PCs and must be preloaded on them at the point of manufacture. If a PC purchaser already has an Office licence, Office 2010 Starter can be replaced with that post-purchase, if they prefer, in the normal manner. Replacing Office 2010 Starter with versions earlier than Office 2007 is not recommended, due to compatibility and support issues.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Saturday, March 8, 2014 10:31 PM