DirectAccess Connectivity Assitant (DCA) behaviour RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Currently have I deployed a DirectAccess solution, which works fine.

On the clients we've installed DCA. Which also works. but at certain times, it mentioned that DirectAccess is down, while it's working fine.
    Adding more control points doesn't help, in the sence if one if failing, it's considering as a total failure.

Is there a way to have a solution in between. For example: warning some resources are not reachable.(if only 1 is failing)
    In an example of 2 internal websites and a file access.

This would be clear for the end-user, and make sure that they don't start to panic..

Or must we create ourselves a DCA solution for this?

Regards,

Daniel

Thursday, July 12, 2012 11:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Sadly I don't think that the software can do what you want.

One can always hope that there will be more room for customization in the 2.0 version, but as far as I have seen it contain more or less the same functionality as 1.5.
    (The 2.0 version is for Windows 7 clients connecting to Window Server 2012 DirectAccess setups)

Best wishes,
    Jonas Blom

Jonas Blom | Relevo AB | http://blog.nrpt.se

• Proposed as answer by Jonas Blom Tuesday, July 17, 2012 12:00 PM
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:17 PM
  • Jonas is correct, the DCA is not customizable in this way. I typically recommend only setting up one Connectivity Verifier, and make it an HTTP as opposed to File, as the HTTP request takes less resources to accomplish. Unfortuantely DCA is not perfect, and it does occasionally report "not working" when DirectAccess is in fact working just fine. Fortunately though, DCA is a systray tool that typically gets hidden away by Windows 7, so the users mostly never see it.

If you are not using OTP you don't need to install DCA, so you could always go without it. It is useful for gathering troubleshooting logs, but you could either install it as-needed in those situations, or create your own script the users run that gathers the same information that the DCA did for troubleshooting output.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:05 PM