.net patches RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

last week I deployed 2 servers 2012 r2. All patches were installed from Microsoft.

day before yesterday .NET3.5 was installed on the server not connected to WSUS.

So when hit update I got more than 20 .net and some servers' patches about 200MB.

The dates of patches was from 2014 to 2016. I asked myself why not one Roll Quallity. But clicked install.

It took 2 hours of installation... after the server was freezing couple of times after restart and forced restart.

I thought I lost the server. But finally it healed itself.

Today .Net was installed on second server that initially was fully patched from Microsoft last week.

This server is connected to WSUS. And brought me Roll Quality Security for .NET of Jan 2017. I know February story.

I thought it's fine if just one Cummulative would be installed. After that I hit update from MS.

And I have some 19 updates - most for .NET with dates from 2014 to 2016.

I decided to ask forum before accepting this. Sure, that I will take a snapshot of VM if I will decide to go for this.

May be next one cumulative for .NET will cover all what was found now from 2014?

And why my WSUS upstream server doensn't see those 2014 (may were declined).

The same with Server patches. At least we know that Roll updates covers well Server, but some server patches from 2014 are found after all Cumulative were applied.

Confusing...

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Friday, March 3, 2017 1:03 PM

Answers

• https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2016/10/11/net-framework-monthly-rollups-explained/

<snip>

Security and Quality Rollup

The Security and Quality Rollup is recommended for consumer and developer machines. It includes both security and quality improvements and is cumulative, meaning that it contains all of the updates from previous rollups. This makes it easy to catch up if you have missed any of the previous updates. The Security and Quality Rollup update will be made available on Windows Update and Windows Update Catalog.

• When: Second Tuesday of the month (Patch Tuesday).
    • Where: Windows Update, Windows Server Update Services and Microsoft Update Catalog.
    • Cumulative: Yes.

Including Past Updates

The Security and Quality Rollup and Quality Rollup will contain all of the past updates for .NET Framework 4.5.x and 4.6.x.

The rollups will not contain all past updates for .NET Framework 3.5 at first.
    The remainder of past .NET Framework 3.5 updates will be included over time.
    We will notify you on our blog when the monthly rollups include all of the past .NET Framework 3.5 updates.
    </snip>

[So, it is partially/somewhat cumulative. Only for .NET FW 4.5.x & 4.6.x; at the moment, it is not cumulative for .NET FW 3.5....yet....]
    [are you confused now? ;)

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Edited by DonPick Saturday, March 4, 2017 11:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Sunday, March 5, 2017 2:18 AM
    Saturday, March 4, 2017 11:16 AM

All replies

• https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2016/10/11/net-framework-monthly-rollups-explained/

<snip>

Security and Quality Rollup

The Security and Quality Rollup is recommended for consumer and developer machines. It includes both security and quality improvements and is cumulative, meaning that it contains all of the updates from previous rollups. This makes it easy to catch up if you have missed any of the previous updates. The Security and Quality Rollup update will be made available on Windows Update and Windows Update Catalog.

• When: Second Tuesday of the month (Patch Tuesday).
    • Where: Windows Update, Windows Server Update Services and Microsoft Update Catalog.
    • Cumulative: Yes.

Including Past Updates

The Security and Quality Rollup and Quality Rollup will contain all of the past updates for .NET Framework 4.5.x and 4.6.x.

The rollups will not contain all past updates for .NET Framework 3.5 at first.
    The remainder of past .NET Framework 3.5 updates will be included over time.
    We will notify you on our blog when the monthly rollups include all of the past .NET Framework 3.5 updates.
    </snip>

[So, it is partially/somewhat cumulative. Only for .NET FW 4.5.x & 4.6.x; at the moment, it is not cumulative for .NET FW 3.5....yet....]
    [are you confused now? ;)

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Edited by DonPick Saturday, March 4, 2017 11:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Sunday, March 5, 2017 2:18 AM
    Saturday, March 4, 2017 11:16 AM
  • Don,

as usually, your word is the last with the info for non obvious situations.

BTW, for the second server were I clearly saw January cumulative and installed it...

before applying 19 updates (mostly .net3.5) I took a snapshot. Then applyied all 19.

It took some, not very long time and 4 updates failed. After restart the server came back. 

I removed a snapshot for make weekend backup more smooth.

Will try to install failed 4 on Monday. Sure, after taking a snap...

THX.

Michael.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Sunday, March 5, 2017 2:25 AM
  • just interesting...

before trying to reinstall 4 failed updates I checked the release date.

3 of them are dated September 9 2014. First was surprised. Than self-explained: probably it was something that was not impossible to wrap in one patch.

BTW, the installation of these for went just fine and not even requires a restart.

Monday, March 6, 2017 12:10 PM