Cannot access external hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using a Toshiba Satellite M200 laptop and Windows Vista Home Basic.

My external hard drive was working fine until a month ago when the
    laptop stopped displaying it. An icon appears in the taskbar indicating
    that it does detect the hard drive but I can't access it. The HDD is
    connected via the USB port.

What I've tried:

1. Assigning a letter to the drive - Went to Disk Management and right-clicked on the volume which should be the external hard drive (Nameless, Healthy, Primary Partition). I only had 2 options: delete volume and help, and cannot assign a letter to the drive, or format it.

2. Using an alternative external hard drive - doesn't work

3. Downloading the latest BIOS - doesn't work

I called Toshiba helpdesks in UK and Singapore, and all the customer
    service agents are baffled by this. It seems to be a Windows problem
    then.

I really need to back up my data now. Pls help!

thanks

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 2:17 PM

Answers

• Well at this moment, you can take a backup of your data from the laptop by connecting it to another computer using a LAN (Ethernet) cable and not by USB cable.

Connect it to another computer in any network or to a desktop using a LAN cable, and take the backup of your data. Once you have the backup of your data then do a system restore or reinstall windows.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 11:46 PM

All replies

• Can you try to connect that external drive to another USB port?

Also check if you are facing the same issue with a USB drive as well? (as both are different, one is a flash drive and other is normal 2.5" hdd)

You can use a LAN cable to connect your laptop to another laptop/desktop and then take backup from there, but that would be the last option.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:12 PM
  • Yes, I've tried all ports on my laptop, and have also tried my office PC (XP). I also tried an alternative hard drive.
    It works fine iwth my mouse and thumbdrive.

help!!!
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:02 AM
  • Try to remove the USB driver and then download & install the latest ones from the laptop's website.

You can remove the USB drivers from Device Manager under Computer properties>advanced settings

If even that doesnt work and as you said that your External Hard disk works fine on the other computer, you might considering repairing or reinstalling Windows Vista after taking backup.

You can use a LAN cable to transfer data between computers

Thursday, October 23, 2008 8:47 PM
  • Hi Harpreet, are you saying I should:
    Go to Device Manager
    Click on USB
    Right-click on "uninstall" for each of the ports listed?

Friday, October 24, 2008 9:42 AM
  • Thats correct, thats what exactly I meant.

Friday, October 24, 2008 7:25 PM
  • Can't find those drivers in Toshiba. Look at complete list here: http://pc.toshiba-asia.com/support/downloads/index.jsp

Please advise. thanks!
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 12:01 PM
  • ok I've done that. It still doesn't work.

I'm so mad at Toshiba - my laptop is under warranty but it says that if it does a System Restore for me, it wouldn't back up my data. The laptop has malfunctioned but it's not taking responsibility for the data it's affected??
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 3:30 PM
  • Well at this moment, you can take a backup of your data from the laptop by connecting it to another computer using a LAN (Ethernet) cable and not by USB cable.

Connect it to another computer in any network or to a desktop using a LAN cable, and take the backup of your data. Once you have the backup of your data then do a system restore or reinstall windows.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 11:46 PM
  • Thanks!
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 5:22 PM