Exchange 2010 and 2016 coexistence and autodiscover. RRS feed

• Question

• I am doing my first 2010 to 2016 migration.  I have 6 2010 cas and mailbox roles i have installed 6 2016 mailbox roles.  I have the URLS and URI's configured to use autodiscover.domain.com.  the clients use outlook 2010 with a few 2016 from office 365.  Everything works with autodiscover pointing to exchange 2010.  i changed autodiscover to point to the exchange 2016 now all 2010 get the autodiscover redirect pop up but 2016 will not configure..  when i do an auto configuration test from a 2016 box it finds autodiscover through scp then fails the attempt.  This seems repeatable with different accounts but isolated to outlook 2016 to exchange 1016.  once i put autodiscover back to the 2010 the outlook 2016 works flawlessly.  what am i missing and what should i check.
    Monday, July 22, 2019 4:56 PM

Answers

• Have a check about whether Outlook Anywhere and Mapi Over Http is configured correctly on your Exchange 2016 server.

I also would suggest add an autodiscover record point to Exchange 2016 in Host file to bypass load balance, then check whether there exist issue.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 25, 2019 8:59 AM

All replies

• Hi

If you have a load balancer in front, make sure that is also updated. is your certificate in place on the 2016 servers?

Did you enable mapi over http at all?

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, July 22, 2019 5:17 PM
  • >>changed autodiscover to point to the exchange 2016 now all 2010 get the autodiscover redirect pop up but 2016 will not configure

Do you mean that after point to Exchange 2016, Exchange 2010 mailbox could be configured but Exchange 2016 mailbox cannot be configured?

>>when i do an auto configuration test from a 2016 box it finds autodiscover through scp then fails the attempt. 

Do you configure mailbox from internal of organization?

If so, could you provide a screenshot about the result of "Test Email AutoConfiguration" for a Exchange 2016 mailbox?

Here is an article about Client Connectivity in an Exchange 2016 Coexistence Environment with Exchange 2010, it may also be useful to you.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 7:24 AM
  • Load balancer created new vips for 2016 and pointed autodiscover to new vips.  certificates are in place and appear to be responding.  I am not sure of the mapi over http.  i thought this was the default for 2016?
    Tuesday, July 23, 2019 3:50 PM
  • >>changed autodiscover to point to the exchange 2016 now all 2010 get the autodiscover redirect pop up but 2016 will not configure

Do you mean that after point to Exchange 2016, Exchange 2010 mailbox could be configured but Exchange 2016 mailbox cannot be configured?this is true and im sorry i was referring to outlook.  outlook 2010 will configure but outlook 2016 will not configure i get failed but it is the right location autodiscover.domain.com.

>>when i do an auto configuration test from a 2016 box it finds autodiscover through scp then fails the attempt. 

Do you configure mailbox from internal of organization?  Only internal.  we have no external access allowed

If so, could you provide a screenshot about the result of "Test Email AutoConfiguration" for a Exchange 2016 mailbox?

Regards,
    Tuesday, July 23, 2019 3:55 PM
  • If it is a pure 2016 environment then yes it will be enabled by default but you have 2010 in the environment so probably not enabled.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 4:24 PM
  • Have a check about whether Outlook Anywhere and Mapi Over Http is configured correctly on your Exchange 2016 server.

I also would suggest add an autodiscover record point to Exchange 2016 in Host file to bypass load balance, then check whether there exist issue.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Thursday, July 25, 2019 8:59 AM
  • Hi Mikefl2,

I am writing here to confirm with you how thing going now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 7:04 AM