Vista & Printer Problems RRS feed

• Question

• Could you please tell me what is up with Vista and being able to set my HP Photosmart 8250 printer as the default printer?

I followed all of the steps in Vista on setting up a printer and using the said printer as the default printer.  When I couldn't get this to work I contacted Dell and their technical assistance to get this matter resolved.  After being on the telephone for over two hours and forty-five minutes the technician couldn't even get the printer set as the default printer.

The correct drivers were downloaded from HP along with their diagnostic tool to make sure there weren't any issues HP could find.  Upon the scan of my system everything came back as working properly.

However, the Microsoft Office 2007 that I downloaded is having problems printing.  The "Word" program has to constantly have the printer chosen, because a default printer can't be setup.  But, worse yet is that NOTHING can be printed from Excel because this program doesn't even recognize a printer on my system. Please advise as to what patch, if any, needs to be downloaded to correct this problem or what setting needs to be changed.  Thanks for your assistance.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 4:14 PM

Answers

•  

Hi twtosh,

Thank you for the post.

Before going further, please help confirm the following points:

1.    Can we print in other programs such as notepad?

2.    Are your running Windows Vista 32bit or 64bit?

Currently, I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

Step 1: Delete the current drivers:

Note: Please disconnect your printer from the computer.

1. Click Start, Click Control Panel.

2. On the popup window, click the Switch to Classic View link in the left pane.

3. In the right pane, double click Printers, choose your printer, and delete it.

4. On the menu bar, click File, and then click Server Properties.

5. On the popup window, click Drivers tab, then delete the driver for this printer.

Note: please remove all printers.

Step 2: Remove all related printer software from Control Panel-> Add/Remove Programs.

Step 3: Clean up driver information from the Registry:

1. Click Start, go to Run, type in "REGEDIT" and press Enter.

2. Browse to the following registry key by clicking the PLUS (+) sign:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers

3. Double click to expand "Printers". All current printers installed on your computer are listed there. Please right click each subkey and click "Delete".

4. Browse to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3

5. Expand "Version-3". All printer drivers which have been installed on your computer will be listed there. Please right click on the subkey and click Delete.

6. Close Registry Editor.

Step 4: Clear up driver information in Safe Mode:

1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. To do so, restart the computer; Keep press F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears; choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

2. Open My Computer and browse to the folder C:\WINDOWS\System32\Spool\Drivers\w32x86\3, delete all the files in the folder.

3. Restart your computer in Normal Mode.

Step 5: Download the latest driver from the following website

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software8/COL18633/ps-48177-1/SF_CDD_Full_Non-Network_enu.exe

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Step 6: Right-click the downloaded printer package and click Run as administrator to install it.

After installing it, open Printers in Control Panel, right-click the printer and click Set as Default Printer.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, February 8, 2008 2:35 AM

All replies

• Did you try installing the printer as an administrator?

Remove current printer.

Right-click anywhere in Printers window, move mouse to run as administrator, in the following menu that pops up select add printer.

Follow prompts to set it up.

-Hope that helps

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 7:53 PM
  •  

Hi twtosh,

Thank you for the post.

Before going further, please help confirm the following points:

1.    Can we print in other programs such as notepad?

2.    Are your running Windows Vista 32bit or 64bit?

Currently, I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

Step 1: Delete the current drivers:

Note: Please disconnect your printer from the computer.

1. Click Start, Click Control Panel.

2. On the popup window, click the Switch to Classic View link in the left pane.

3. In the right pane, double click Printers, choose your printer, and delete it.

4. On the menu bar, click File, and then click Server Properties.

5. On the popup window, click Drivers tab, then delete the driver for this printer.

Note: please remove all printers.

Step 2: Remove all related printer software from Control Panel-> Add/Remove Programs.

Step 3: Clean up driver information from the Registry:

1. Click Start, go to Run, type in "REGEDIT" and press Enter.

2. Browse to the following registry key by clicking the PLUS (+) sign:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers

3. Double click to expand "Printers". All current printers installed on your computer are listed there. Please right click each subkey and click "Delete".

4. Browse to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3

5. Expand "Version-3". All printer drivers which have been installed on your computer will be listed there. Please right click on the subkey and click Delete.

6. Close Registry Editor.

Step 4: Clear up driver information in Safe Mode:

1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. To do so, restart the computer; Keep press F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears; choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

2. Open My Computer and browse to the folder C:\WINDOWS\System32\Spool\Drivers\w32x86\3, delete all the files in the folder.

3. Restart your computer in Normal Mode.

Step 5: Download the latest driver from the following website

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software8/COL18633/ps-48177-1/SF_CDD_Full_Non-Network_enu.exe

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Step 6: Right-click the downloaded printer package and click Run as administrator to install it.

After installing it, open Printers in Control Panel, right-click the printer and click Set as Default Printer.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, February 8, 2008 2:35 AM