none
HOW DO I UNALPHABATIZE MY FAVORITES??? - EVERYTIME I CLOSE DOWN, UPON REBOOT IE8 SORTS MY FAVORITES BACK IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER RRS feed

• Question

• Evertime I add to my Favorite, it adds it to the bottom which IS how I want it. However, evertime I shut down and reboot - IE8 reshuffles my Favorites inAlpabetical order? How do I stop this??????

I tried the following procedure as suggested by Yog Li:

I Right clicked the Start Button and selected Properties

I Clicked on the CUstomize button

I clicked on the Advanced tab and scrooled down to look for "Sort All Programs Menu" to uncheck

***** HOWEVER WHEN SCROLLING DOWN I DID NOT FIND SUCH A COMMAND TO UNCHECK *****

How come I can not find such a command?? I am using IE Version 8. Where do I go from here???

Yog Li, what do I do to stop this alphabeizing of my Favorites?? I like my favorites in a particular order and not all the time I want it alphabetized. I did not even want this. It just happened one day. Why did it happen?? This is driving me crazy!! Can you or someone please help me???!!

Thursday, February 26, 2015 5:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I tested the "Sort All Programs Menu", seems it's not related with this issue, but you can have a try, the location is

By default, the favorites shold not be listed in alphabet order, in previous IE version, there's an option "Enable personalized favorites Menu" but this option is removed since IE 8, if we don't right click the favorite item\sort by name. then it should remain its original order. So I wonder whether you have installed a new add-ons or applicationswhich changed this setting.  Tools\Manage add-ons, disable third party add-ons to check the result, or check your newly installed application

Meanwhile, you can also reset IE settings, then check the result. Internet OPtions\Advanced\Reset.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 27, 2015 7:52 AM
  • By default, the favorites shold not be listed in alphabet order

I have long speculated that this happens because of an undocumented implementation limit.  Notice that the registry is used to preserve the order, so if there are too many entries (or more accurately too many bytes needed to record all names) which exceed that implementation's capability I suspect the fall-back action could be to sort the directory and not try to save its current order.  Originally, when there was an explicit option to have them sorted people complained about only being appearing to be able to do that with about 200 entries so I guess that issue was fixed by creating this new one with a reverse symptom.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, February 27, 2015 3:02 PM
    Answerer
  • How do I reset my IE settings?/ What is this "Internet Options/Advanced/Reset"?? Where do I find these commands?? Yolanda, If you're there, can you please give me more step-by-step details to reset the IE settings? I tried looking for those commands with no luck. Can anyone help me?

By the way, I did not install any new add-ons or applications which could have changed my settings. What is this Tools/Manage add-ons, disable third party add-ons to check the result?? I am lost. Can someone help me unalphabatize my Favorites?? I want my favorites in the order that I add  them.

This is driving me crazy. Please help!!!!!!!!

Thursday, May 21, 2015 1:32 AM