SIte Action->Site settings->Modify Navigation gives null reference exception in sharepoint portal RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a sharepoint portal developed with some sub sites. I am facing the followig issue in one of my sub site. While traversing through Site Action->Site Settings-> Modify Navigation throws the below mentioned error.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Navigation.PortalSiteMapNode.GetNavigationChildren(NodeTypes includedTypes, NodeTypes includedHiddenTypes, Boolean securityTrimmingEnabled, OrderingMethod ordering, AutomaticSortingMethod method, Boolean ascending, Int32 lcid)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.CodeBehind.AreaNavigationSettingsPage.AddChildrenToControl(String parentId, PortalSiteMapNode node, Int32 depth, Int32 maxDepth)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.CodeBehind.AreaNavigationSettingsPage.AddChildrenToControl(String parentId, PortalSiteMapNode node, Int32 depth, Int32 maxDepth)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.CodeBehind.AreaNavigationSettingsPage.InitializeNavigationEditSort()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.CodeBehind.AreaNavigationSettingsPage.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
    Troubleshoot issues with Windows SharePoint Services.

Please guide me what might be the problem caused.

Thank you.

Love your work don't love your company.
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, March 14, 2011 11:56 AM As this is a problem you get when using standard functions it is an Admin problem not programming (From:SharePoint - Development and Programming (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Monday, March 14, 2011 10:55 AM

Answers

• Error telling me that this is publishing portal and at the time of constructing top or left navigation control, it coudn't get the node. Please check "Modify Navigation" from Site settings also if you have changed anything related to navigatin in master page like navigation provider, control then check it again.
    w: http://www.worldofsharepoint.com | t: @sharesandip
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:35 AM
    Monday, March 14, 2011 12:09 PM

All replies

• Error telling me that this is publishing portal and at the time of constructing top or left navigation control, it coudn't get the node. Please check "Modify Navigation" from Site settings also if you have changed anything related to navigatin in master page like navigation provider, control then check it again.
    w: http://www.worldofsharepoint.com | t: @sharesandip
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:35 AM
    Monday, March 14, 2011 12:09 PM
  • Sandip,

Thanks for your information. If you dont mind can you please elaborate these two points. I am not able to traverse to Modify Navigation as it fires the null reference exception.Where exactly to check the issue and what to modify.

Thank you.

Love your work don't love your company.
    Monday, March 14, 2011 12:31 PM