Exchange 2007 - DL and How to add a external domain to the message delivery restriction of a DL RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

Exchange 2007 SP3.

We have about 200 DL's that are all restricted. I want to allow a 3rd party external domain to be able to send emails to any of these DL's.

But also keeping the restriction in place - is this possible?

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:45 AM

All replies

• Using the properties of the group - no.
    The only way that may be possible is to use a rule. So you would have to change the group to allow anyone unauthenticated to send to it, then create transport rules to allow external senders to send to it.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:02 AM
  • When I create the rule with the following paramaters -

Condition - sent to a member of DL

Actions - send bounce message to sender with enhanced status code

Exceptions - except with the From address contains specfic words [external domain]

I created a Test DL added myself to the DL.

However If i send an email to anyone I get a bounce.

The only way around this is if I add my domain name into the except with the From address.

Is there a better way to achieve this?

Edit - external email bounces when this rule is enabled.

Your message wasn't delivered because of security policies. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator.

• Edited by Horsebox69 Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:19 PM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:08 AM
  • When you created the test group, did you remove the setting that requires only authenticated users to send to it? That is set by default on all new groups.

Simon.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:03 PM
  • Yes.
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 8:48 AM
  • What else did the NDR say? You have posted the generic top text, which doesn't help.

Simon.

Monday, February 20, 2012 1:57 PM
  • You need to add both your internal domain and your external domain. The transport rule will filter all emails even internal so if you don't add your internal domains, internal users won't be able to send to it as well. You can do 2 exception conditions:

1. Except when the from address contains specific words

2. Except when the message is "internal org"

James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com

Monday, February 20, 2012 2:57 PM