Thomson Reuters Eikon Addin for excel stuck on processing constantly and high cpu usage RRS feed

• Question

• Ever since we have moved users to W10 xendesktop non persistent where we use APP-V to deliver applications, for some reason the excel-addin causes excel to become stuck on processing, load behaviour set to 3 and the reslience registry key is applied.

I have noticed that when I load excel it is spawning two exes in task manager under details both using around 25 to 30 percent cpu usage none stop this could go on all night long, there's a deamon file called TRUserSerrviceHostV4.exe which also runs and sometimes this has to be forcibiley shutdown >

This happens even when we disable the Ivanti Profile personalisation's settings for a user/s, I've tried disabling every add-in with no luck and changing the load behavior to 2 no luck

I've scanned Thomson Reuters developer forums and logged a ticket with their helpdesk no luck, they have come back and said APP-V  not supported, however I have done a manual binaries installation of TR Eikon and i still get the same issue.

Application: TRUserServiceHostV4.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an internal error in the .NET Runtime at IP 74279284 (741E0000) with exit code 80131506.

• Edited by hirogen1 Tuesday, May 12, 2020 3:05 PM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2020 2:31 PM

Answers

• we added some eikon dll files specifically for the office addin to Ivanti exclusions now blasted the profiles again for impacted users in Ivanti EM, and now the addin is loading, its very slow but it works. takes ages to load compared to my home pc in excel 365 on the vdi, nonetheless 6 users now working that's pretty good.
    • Marked as answer by hirogen1 Wednesday, June 10, 2020 1:16 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2020 1:16 PM

All replies

• Tuesday, May 12, 2020 3:06 PM
  • So actually you're saying App-V is not the issue, because you experience the same if you install Eikon manually?

Anyhow, Eikon is a pain in the *** excel addin, which can actually break other automation addins by just removing them at excel runtime. If you use Eikon with Datastream addin, keep in mind Thomson Reuter pushes updates for Datastream right into the users profile, which makes it not a good candidate for virtualisation with App-V.

Roy Essers

• Edited by Roy Essers Wednesday, May 13, 2020 10:31 PM
    Wednesday, May 13, 2020 10:21 PM
  • That's correct I decided to do a direct installation on the xendesktop, cleared the profile first in Ivanti and tried on a few test accounts and sometimes it works sometimes it does not, ok so would you suggest we Xenapp Eikon? I'm not actually an App-v packager thought I'd gather up your experiences. It's been escalated to their citrix team, I have noticed the addin works fine in word which is strange.
    • Edited by hirogen1 Thursday, May 14, 2020 1:37 PM
    Thursday, May 14, 2020 11:37 AM
  • Ok it works for some users but mostly doesn't work for others and that's inside the bubble using the following cmdline to install

EikonInstaller.exe /COMMAND=_execute=INSTALL _killDependentProcesses=1 _setCitrixMode=1 USERCONFIGFOLDER="%APPDATA%\Thomson Reuters\Eikon User\Cache" RDE_LOG_PATH="%APPDATA%\Thomson Reuters\Eikon Logs\"

and add the following to an xml file in programdata/thomsonreuters 
    <Setting name="KOBRA.APPLICATION.BACKGROUNDPROCESS.IS_CITRIX_SESSION">TRUE</Setting>

but its' crashing out with some funny errors which could mean anything.. 

Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 16.0.11929.20648, time stamp: 0x5e5dd2d9
    Faulting module name: TR.CO.Shim.dll_unloaded, version: 4.0.50.32, time stamp: 0x5db1b16e
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00004650
    Faulting process ID: 0x2034
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d634c7389e607d
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE
    Faulting module path: TR.CO.Shim.dll
    Report ID: ba4647d3-7eac-4542-b5d5-e769becb0d45
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Thursday, May 28, 2020 12:13 PM
  • we added some eikon dll files specifically for the office addin to Ivanti exclusions now blasted the profiles again for impacted users in Ivanti EM, and now the addin is loading, its very slow but it works. takes ages to load compared to my home pc in excel 365 on the vdi, nonetheless 6 users now working that's pretty good.
    • Marked as answer by hirogen1 Wednesday, June 10, 2020 1:16 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2020 1:16 PM
  • great to hear... but you cant compare your home workstation with the citrix env, especially if you're using Ivanti Envirnoment Manager together with O365 and App-V. This combo has a large performance impact. Adding office keys to the PassThroughPaths from App-V improves performance a bit, but still.

Roy Essers

Thursday, June 11, 2020 8:23 AM
  • It's worked mostly but only a few users have an issue - you're right our Office 365 is fundementally slow I just realised even today the O365 addins which come with the suite are APPV'd, we've had major issues with Oracle Smartview on Xendesktop comapred to lagacy Xenapp which is more server basad, xendesktop being virutalization, smartview very slow even outside the app-v bubble, ticket open with Oracle but they have limited suggestions so far!
    Thursday, June 25, 2020 9:29 PM
  • Hi

You could check following key for the slowness:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Packages\PackageID\REGISTRY\USER\UserSID\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Excel\Resiliency\StartupItems

I have a similar slowness issue with an addin. (Oracle Smartview)

In the "StartupItems" I see appearing strange keys for every action taken in Excel, which slows down Excel because Excel reads this key continually.

I haven't found out why the addin is behaving in this way when packaged.
    No issue when locally installed.

Friday, June 26, 2020 11:30 AM
  • exclude the keys from hooking, check my reply in your topic ;)

Roy Essers

Friday, June 26, 2020 6:07 PM
  • Yes Sir I will check tomorrow, thank you so much if this helps I will be a very happy man indeed thankyou for explaining the fact that it's being continously read, I have now realised that when I run procmon from sysinternal.com all i see is the registry key you mentioned none stop all the time. I am most intrigued now!
    Monday, June 29, 2020 9:20 PM