none
COM Add in for comparing projects is abending only in some schedules. It gives error message but can't figure it out RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am running with the Com add in for comparing project schedules. I am comparing on 3 fields Baseline Start, Baseline Finish, Baseline Work. I am selecting task description as well and than of course there is unique id.

The error message is runtime error 1101. The argument value is not valid. .... and than it comes up with another message 440 in another dialog box.

It looks like it is completly going through the schedule although teh last record it has at the bottom is out of order from the tasks list in the Gantt view.

Anyway, I am running this against 30 other different files of which 25 run fine and some of those are large. There are 5 that it comes up with the same message.

What is wrong here and how do I fix it?

Thanks

Friday, July 29, 2011 6:11 PM

Answers

• Hotmail1,

If you open a file by double clicking on the file itself, WIndows will open it using the default application. Usually that's the version that was installed last, so if for example you had Project 2007 installed and then also installed Project 2010, Project 2010 would become the default. In your case, if you do install Project 2010 I would be sure to select the installation option to NOT update the existing application which is Project 2007. Also if you have two different versions of an application installed, it is much better to open the file from the app rather than opening the file by double clicking on the file itself. That guarantees the file will open in the version you want.

As I mentioned before, if you are going to upgrade to Project 2010, do it across the board for all users and then stick with it. But if for some reason you must have two versions, this is what I suggest. Do all file updates and maintenance using Project 2007. When you need to run the compare, open Project 2010, and from there open the two files to be compared. Run the compare and do your reports or whatever you do with the output of the comparison. Do NOT save the result back as a Project 2007 file. Legacy saves are supposed to work okay but personally I don't quite trust that functionality.

With regard to the reason the compare worked in reverse I don't really know. All I know is that a few years ago when I first started looking into the problems with the Compare Project versions utility, I was working with a user who came up a trivial file structure that caused the utility to crash every time. When run one way the compare failed but when run in reverse, the compare worked fine.

A couple years before Microsoft included the compare utility with Project I wrote a VBA macro to compare project files. My macro worked (and still does work) in forward or reverse so I was curious as to why the Microsoft version had problems. I asked a contact at Microsoft if I could get the source code to do some troubleshooting but alas, that wasn't to be. Fortunately, Microsoft fixed the compare utility in Project 2010.

John

Saturday, July 30, 2011 9:10 PM

All replies

• Hotmail1,

If I recall correctly you use Project 2007. The Compare Project versions utility had technical issues from the time it was introduced up through Project 2007. Fortunately those issues have been fixed in the Compare Project versions utility included with Project 2010. Unfortunately, that doesn't help you.

I'd say you are pretty lucky to get 25 of your 30 file pairs to run successfully. Is there anything different about the 5 file pairs that won't compare from those files that do compare successfully? You mention something about the last task row being out of sequence. The compare utility indexes the two files being compared by using the Unique ID field. If you sort the files by unique ID for those that don't compare successfully, is there any thing odd about the unique ID numbers?

I don't recall all the issues with the utility but I remember that it had trouble if a given project field was repeated (e.g. the Name field shown more than once as a column in the view). Do your files have duplicate fields?

Here's something you might try, reverse the sequence. For instance, if file 1 (earlier version) and file 2 (later version) do not work, try using file 2 as the early version and file 1 as the later version.

If all else fails, would you be willing to send me one set of your file pairs that do not compare?

John

Friday, July 29, 2011 8:25 PM
  • Thanks John

Let me try the the reverse order and than look at the files a bit closer but yes I am for sure willing to send along some files.

Thanks

Friday, July 29, 2011 9:08 PM
  • Hotmail1,

Okay, let me know.

John

Saturday, July 30, 2011 12:33 AM
  • I agree, Proejct 2010 file compare is great! If you spend toolong on this it will be cheaper to buy a copy of 2010 just for file compares!

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 1:31 AM
  • A couple questions

1. If I use Project Professional 2010 can other people use the files such as making updates if they have 2007?

2. How does the system recognize which one to auto open if I have 2007 and 2010 on my machine?

Thanks

Saturday, July 30, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Hotmail1,

It is generally not a good idea to cross over between Project versions. It should work okay, but "should" isn't always reality. However, Project 2010 was designed to be compatible with previous versions with the obvious limitation that new features in Project 2010 will not be available when the file is opened in earlier versions. There have also been multiple posts in this and other forums about issues when working with multiple versions. As those issues are surfaced, service updates are released. The most current update for Project 2010 is SP1. If I recall correctly there is also an update for Project 2007 (I believe it's SP3). Personally I'd settle on a version and use that across the organization.

With regard to manual versus auto-scheduled, since Project 2007, (and all previous versions), are exclusively auto-scheduled any Project 2007 schedule opened under Project 2010 will automatically open in the auto-scheduled mode.

How did reverse compare test work?

John

Saturday, July 30, 2011 3:33 PM
  • John

In regard to the question about which one would the system open 2007 or 2010.....What I was really asking was if I had 2010 loaded on my machine along with 2007 and I used 2007 to do all updates and then I used 2010 just for the compares what would the system place me in when I opened up MS Project file 2 to make updates?  Would it open up teh file in Project 2007 version or in project 2010 version and how would I control that?

In reagrds to the reverse compare........Yes that worked...  Why is that?

Thanks John

Saturday, July 30, 2011 4:21 PM
  • Hotmail1,

If you open a file by double clicking on the file itself, WIndows will open it using the default application. Usually that's the version that was installed last, so if for example you had Project 2007 installed and then also installed Project 2010, Project 2010 would become the default. In your case, if you do install Project 2010 I would be sure to select the installation option to NOT update the existing application which is Project 2007. Also if you have two different versions of an application installed, it is much better to open the file from the app rather than opening the file by double clicking on the file itself. That guarantees the file will open in the version you want.

As I mentioned before, if you are going to upgrade to Project 2010, do it across the board for all users and then stick with it. But if for some reason you must have two versions, this is what I suggest. Do all file updates and maintenance using Project 2007. When you need to run the compare, open Project 2010, and from there open the two files to be compared. Run the compare and do your reports or whatever you do with the output of the comparison. Do NOT save the result back as a Project 2007 file. Legacy saves are supposed to work okay but personally I don't quite trust that functionality.

With regard to the reason the compare worked in reverse I don't really know. All I know is that a few years ago when I first started looking into the problems with the Compare Project versions utility, I was working with a user who came up a trivial file structure that caused the utility to crash every time. When run one way the compare failed but when run in reverse, the compare worked fine.

A couple years before Microsoft included the compare utility with Project I wrote a VBA macro to compare project files. My macro worked (and still does work) in forward or reverse so I was curious as to why the Microsoft version had problems. I asked a contact at Microsoft if I could get the source code to do some troubleshooting but alas, that wasn't to be. Fortunately, Microsoft fixed the compare utility in Project 2010.

John

Saturday, July 30, 2011 9:10 PM
  • Thanks John!
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 10:12 PM
  • Hotmail1,

You're welcome.

John

Sunday, July 31, 2011 2:50 AM