???running multiple operating systems??? RRS feed

• Question

• I know I can run more than one OS (I have some programs: games, Photoshop Elements 7, Carmen Sandiego programs, that will not run in the more recent OS versions of Windows) on the same system.  Not sure if my HDD is basic or dynamic, but I have 2 actual physical HDDs on my laptop.  Can I install the OSs on separate drives... for example, my laptop has 2 physical HDD, & I believe I have plenty of space on both drives... I have Vista already installed (pre-installed when I purchased the laptop), can I install an earlier version of Windows, say Vista, or XP, or ME, on the 2nd HDD... I know I have read something about having to install the earlier version 1st, then install the newer version???? Or can I install the 2nd version (older version on an external HDD).  I have looked for newer versions of some of the games I already had and love, but with no success.  Any ideas for me?
    • Moved by Cleber Marques MSFT Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:09 AM Compliance (From:Microsoft Operations Framework -- MOF 4.0)
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 6:13 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Of course you can install the old OS on your pre-installed Vista laptop. you may refer to the following link, this will guide you acheive this.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8790/dual-boot-your-pre-installed-windows-7-computer-with-xp/ 

Above link introduce the case what is similar with Vista.

For detail information about installing the old OS on pre-installed Vista machine, please post your thread at Windows Vista Forums.

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, January 14, 2011 1:27 AM
    Friday, January 7, 2011 8:38 AM
  • I have that scenario on my desktop.

2 HDD. Both are basic but i am sure you can have em as dynamic as well. Just two clicks away once inside disk manager.

I installed XP first on D: and then 7 on C: after

My CMOS/BIOS pops a boot manager up on F8 if i press that and can choose that way which one to boot with.

I am doing this since i am not entirely comfortable with 7 yet, half my software seems not to work even though M$ says it does, am not comfortable with running an XP hack inside 7 when i can just run XP on its own, dont like the 7 user interface and for serious work or coding i would rather not waste my time to learn a totally new OS when this one wont waste my time.

To me 7 is a new skin slapped on a slightly faster and improved Vista for which they want more money after fixing all of vistas problems.

7's UI is horrible and will drive many people to dual boot and probably give up on M$ and 7 after they try it.

Friday, January 7, 2011 2:28 PM

All replies

• Sorry, you have posted your question in a forum that talk about Microsoft Operations Framework (MOF), then I am moving your post to another forum and I hope you can get some help. But if you want you can try to find other forum by yourself:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/

Hope that helps

Regards,

Cleber Marques

Microsoft MVP & MCT | Charter Member: SCVMM & MDOP
    MOF Brazil Project: Simplifying IT Service Management
    My Blog | MOF.com.br | CleberMarques.com | CanalSystemCenter.com.br
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:08 AM
  • Hi,

Of course you can install the old OS on your pre-installed Vista laptop. you may refer to the following link, this will guide you acheive this.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8790/dual-boot-your-pre-installed-windows-7-computer-with-xp/ 

Above link introduce the case what is similar with Vista.

For detail information about installing the old OS on pre-installed Vista machine, please post your thread at Windows Vista Forums.

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, January 7, 2011 8:38 AM
  • I have that scenario on my desktop.

2 HDD. Both are basic but i am sure you can have em as dynamic as well. Just two clicks away once inside disk manager.

I installed XP first on D: and then 7 on C: after

My CMOS/BIOS pops a boot manager up on F8 if i press that and can choose that way which one to boot with.

I am doing this since i am not entirely comfortable with 7 yet, half my software seems not to work even though M$ says it does, am not comfortable with running an XP hack inside 7 when i can just run XP on its own, dont like the 7 user interface and for serious work or coding i would rather not waste my time to learn a totally new OS when this one wont waste my time.

To me 7 is a new skin slapped on a slightly faster and improved Vista for which they want more money after fixing all of vistas problems.

7's UI is horrible and will drive many people to dual boot and probably give up on M$ and 7 after they try it.

Friday, January 7, 2011 2:28 PM