Does anyone have the Outlook 2007 Instant Search feature working? RRS feed

• Question

•  I have had a search (on this forum) and a google and not found it mentioned anywhere.

Before I start digging too deep I wondered if anyone has found this feature to work with sequenced Outlook 2007?
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 1:55 PM

Answers

• The knowledgebase article on sequencing Office 2007 applications states that disabling the instant search feature of Outlook is a requirement for sequencing: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939796 

The Outlook 2007 Instant Search feature does not function in a SoftGrid environment. The registry key change that is described in this article turns on the Classic form of Outlook search.

I haven't attempted to sequence Office 2007 without disabling this feature.
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 5:11 PM

All replies

• The knowledgebase article on sequencing Office 2007 applications states that disabling the instant search feature of Outlook is a requirement for sequencing: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939796 

The Outlook 2007 Instant Search feature does not function in a SoftGrid environment. The registry key change that is described in this article turns on the Classic form of Outlook search.

I haven't attempted to sequence Office 2007 without disabling this feature.
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 5:11 PM
  • Hello,

I did actually sequence with the instant-search feature..
    If you turn off Windows Search it functions (aka I use old dumb-search and not the instant-search..)
    I would assume that utilizing the instant search would be against the whole concept of virtualizing.
    Meaning, instant-search utilizes the Windows search functionality and thus requires Windows Search to index the mailbox.
    Now, since the application can use the windows search and perform searches, there is nothing in the index that would be valid (which corresponds to what happend when I turned the window search on, nothing was found..)

Not really sure how windows search indexes mail, I suppose it doesn't open the .ost / .pst file but rather use some way that access the mailbox via different APIs that would require the OS to know about the application. (to index the .ost wouldn't be the good, since that would require an offline replica of the mailbox...)

/Znack
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 11:31 AM
  • Hi Aaaron, this entry on the App-V blog suggests that the Outlook Instant Search issue was fixed in 4.5:

http://blogs.technet.com/softgrid/archive/2008/12/11/virtualized-outlook-2007-search-feature-may-not-work-as-designed-on-windows-vista-clients.aspx

Anyone at MS in a position to clarify?
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 10:40 PM
  • Hi znack,

Your finding are the same as mine. App-V 4.5 and Outlook 2007 SP1 - Outlook instant search returns no reults.

I expected issues for the reasons you highlighted, however, with Exchange Server 2007 the Instant Search is offloaded to the Exchange servers indexing  AFAIK. Hence I am hopeful that this can work. I love the Instant Search feature and it would be a shame to loose it with App-V!
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 10:44 PM
  • Hello,

well, that post really says it should function (I thought you misunderstood it, but clearly it says it should be functional).
    Now, atm I am testing win7 64bits - and thus no chance to test this myself...
    However, until about a week ago my pc was a vista 32bit with office sequenced and instant-search turned on. As the posting says there is no other "fix" to it (other than disabling it) that tells me I should be able to search mail..

Now - I sequenced on Windows XP. So if you sequence on Vista, deploy on Vista it should work right?
    (mine didn't work..)

Any chance that you might tell us what you have been sequencing on?

/Znack
    (btw - office recipe is from jan-08 and blog article is from my vacation time dec-08, any chance anyone around here might tell the MS people to confirm that it works, if anything needs to be done and update the recipe?)
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 5:53 AM
  • I sequenced on Windows Server 2003 SP2 and ran on Vista and XP - same results i.e. no results!
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 12:41 PM
  • Hello,

Did you try sequencing on vista and deploying on vista?

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Sunday, June 21, 2009 7:55 PM
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 8:51 PM
  • I am using the latest App-V 4.5 software.  I ran into the same issue where I sequenced Office 2007 on an XP computer.  The instant search feature returns zero results on Vista.  I am in the process of sequencing on Vista to see if the issue is resolved.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:53 PM
  • I sequenced Office 2007 with the latest 4.5 sequencer on a Vista Enterprise SP1 x86.  I then installed the latest App-V client on Vista SP1 x86 and loaded Outlook.  The search feature does not work for me.

Thanks

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:20 PM
  • Can someone else respond if you have the instant search working in Outlook 2007 with App-V 4.5 or higher?

Thanks
    Monday, April 27, 2009 5:51 PM
  • hello mniccum,

We don't use the instand search in outlook. But I found this link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C262BCFD-1E09-49B6-9003-C4C47539DF66&displaylang=en

This is a update for the instant search fro outlook. Maybe this is a solution for your problem?

Grz

Roelk

Roelk
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 7:47 AM