how to set a new theme as default for all sites RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

Similar question to this had already been asked in the forum but the answers are including some implementations.

Since I'm supposed not to go in code level, I'm looking for an easier solution for the question of:

After creating a new theme and uploading it into the theme gallery, how can I set this theme as default so that not only the existing sites but also the future sites will be able to use this theme by default?

I  think that here SharePoint 2010 has a missing checkbox like "set this theme as default" or I could not see it yet!

If you're sure that there's not such an easy way, then the solutions with small implementations are also welcome :)

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:48 PM

Answers

• There is no way to set a theme as the default other than applying it using custom provisioning code.  The default theme is to have NO theme applied, so if you want to apply a theme it must be applied programmatically.  The only way to do this without code is to create a site using the theme and then save that site as a template.  Whenever that template is used the theme will be applied.  But all the regular built in site definitions will still use the default of No theme applied.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP Chief SharePoint
    Architect: Sharesquared Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.
    • Marked as answer by carettax2 Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:34 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:19 PM

All replies

• There is no way to set a theme as the default other than applying it using custom provisioning code.  The default theme is to have NO theme applied, so if you want to apply a theme it must be applied programmatically.  The only way to do this without code is to create a site using the theme and then save that site as a template.  Whenever that template is used the theme will be applied.  But all the regular built in site definitions will still use the default of No theme applied.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP Chief SharePoint
    Architect: Sharesquared Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.
    • Marked as answer by carettax2 Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:34 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:19 PM
  • Hi Mr. Stork,

Thanks for your answer, the idea is very nice for the case.. it solves my problem now :)

Thanks a lot.

Cheers.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:35 PM