none
Disable Display Shutdown Event Tracker for user login only? RRS feed

• Question

• Running Server 2008 R2 SP1

Hello,

I like the Shutdown Event Tracker, and would like to keep it enabled for rebooting or shutting a server down.

However, if the server shutdowns unexpectedly, I would like to disable the prompt that appears when a user logs in after the crash.

My reasoning is that users often log into the servers before administrators and get confused by a prompt they don't understand. They usually click Cancel which means it will keep popping up at login until somebody supplies a reason and clicks OK.

Can this be done?

PS: I would also accept and answer that allows SET for administrators, but is disabled for regular users.

Thank you.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 6:06 PM

Answers

•  

But I don't want it to be disabled while I'm shutting down or rebooting the server. I like this feature.

I only want to disable to popup that users get when LOGGING IN that there was an unexpected shutdown.

Is this possible?

AFAIK, you can either completely enable or disable shutdown event tracker.

Its not possible to enable log on event and disable log off event messages or vice versa from Shutdown Event  Tracker ( at least as of now ).

~Santosh View Santosh  Bhandarkar's profile on LinkedIn
    • Marked as answer by jayIT8 Friday, January 20, 2012 5:18 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 3:44 PM

All replies

• Shutdown Event Tracker

You can disable it from the registry, but I would not recommend it.

You can create a GPO any apply it to the servers you want. Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System and in the right hand pane, select the “Display Shutdown Event Tracker” setting. Also be sure to enable loopback processing because these are computer settings. In the Delegation tab add the Administrators group and theck the Deny apply group policy.

PS: I would also accept and answer that allows SET for administrators, but is disabled for regular users.

I don't think you can get so granular with that restriction. But you could restrict user access to the CMD prompt:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/disablecmd.htm

Hope it helps.

MCTS - Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. http://mariusene.wordpress.com/
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:47 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your post.

As far as I know, the policy is set for computer not for user. So all users will disable the shutdown event tracker when the policy is set to disabled.

How Shutdown Event Tracker Works
    Shutdown Event Tracker Tools and Settings

If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,

Rick Tan

TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 20, 2012 6:01 AM
  • Agree with Rick. If you disable Shutdown Event Tracker, that will be applicable to both users and admins on that particular server.
    Friday, January 20, 2012 7:42 AM
  • Ok. So I can't distinguish between users and administrators when I disable SET. That's ok I guess.

But I don't want it to be disabled while I'm shutting down or rebooting the server. I like this feature.

I only want to disable to popup that users get when LOGGING IN that there was an unexpected shutdown.

Is this possible?

Friday, January 20, 2012 3:36 PM
  • Try using the gpo method I posted earlier...
    MCTS - Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. http://mariusene.wordpress.com/
    Friday, January 20, 2012 3:39 PM
  •  

Is this possible?

AFAIK, you can either completely enable or disable shutdown event tracker.

Its not possible to enable log on event and disable log off event messages or vice versa from Shutdown Event  Tracker ( at least as of now ).

• Marked as answer by jayIT8 Friday, January 20, 2012 5:18 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 3:44 PM
  • Marius,

Your method may work but I cannot use loopback on those servers for other reasons. But I thought loopback only made distinctions between user policies on multiple machines. Seems like the computer policy (SET) would be applied no matter what. Also, it's difficult to test this since I would need to force the server down ungracefully in order to get the popup on the next login.

So I'm going to go with Santosh's answer saying that it basically can't be done the way I need it to.

Thanks.

Friday, January 20, 2012 5:18 PM