Gaming on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have system with following specs:

Pentium 4 3.06GHz with HT, 2GB 455MHz DDR2 RAM, Intel D102GGC2 motherboard, ATI Radeon HD4650 1GB, LG L1515 monitor with VGA 1024x768 resolution 60Hz rate max.

I can play most recent games like Alien vs predator, Assassin's creed 2, resident evil 5 on my Win XP PC with stable frame rate of 30 FPS minimum. Can I play the these games on the same PC with windows 7 install on Win XP mode provided on Win 7 or I have to upgrade my system specs to higher? I am actually not planning for any system upgrade for atleast 1 year. Please help me on this.

Thanks for answers.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Monday, August 9, 2010 6:36 AM

Answers

• I'd recommend dual booting.  You may be able to play some games using other VM software, but your CPU and RAM will constrict your VM's performance.

Are you sure those games won't run on Win7?

Regardless, WinVPC+XP Mode wont' work for any games that require hardware 3D acceleration, like any modern game does.

• Proposed as answer by Leo Huang Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, August 17, 2010 1:26 AM
    Monday, August 9, 2010 5:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can't say for sure, but the specs does not look like that high. What you have to remember is, the XPMode VM is going to run slower than your current system due to overheads involved in virtualization. In XP mode, you will have access to both XP and Windows 7 OSs.

But the best thing is give a try, after backing up your data so that you can go back to XP. Even if it does not work as expected, it will be an interesting experience ....

Hope this helps,

Krish

Monday, August 9, 2010 7:04 AM
  • Ashutosh, XP mode is not designed for gaming, you would not be at all happy with the end results.

A VM would not use your Video card and you would not see the same performance as you would from the box if it ran XP

Monday, August 9, 2010 12:39 PM
  • Virtual machines aren't good for gaming at all in ay virtualization
    product, and there's no Direct3D support in Windows Virtual PC, so I
    don't think many modern games will run.

Bob Comer <Microsoft MVP  Windows - Virtual Machine>

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Monday, August 9, 2010 1:45 PM
  • I'd recommend dual booting.  You may be able to play some games using other VM software, but your CPU and RAM will constrict your VM's performance.

Are you sure those games won't run on Win7?

Regardless, WinVPC+XP Mode wont' work for any games that require hardware 3D acceleration, like any modern game does.

• Proposed as answer by Leo Huang Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, August 17, 2010 1:26 AM
    Monday, August 9, 2010 5:29 PM
  • Thanks guys..! I think system upgradation is only way to run games truly in win 7. I am sticking to win XP gaming for now.

Thanks once again!

Ashutosh

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 8:53 AM