none
Reclaiming storage pool space after manually deleting Recovery Points in DPM 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Data Protection Manager forum,

I am manually deleting old Recovery Points from DPM 2010 in an effort to reclaim unallocated space in our storage pool.  The pruneshadowcopiesDPM2010.ps1 PowerShell script was leaving older disk Recovery Points outside of the Retention Goals set for our disk backups.

I am using the script developed by Ruud Baars to manually delete RPs based on time/date.  I've successfully deleted numerous disk-based RPs but see no difference in the percentage of unallocated space in the storage pool.

Is this by design and am I thinking about this wrong?  If so, is there an approved way to reclaim the space?  Our percentage of unallocated space dwindled by half over the course of several days and our overall disk usage has not gone up.  What happened was that a replacement DPM server was put into production to try and resolve a possible hardware issue we've been struggling with for the past 2 years.  The exact same error occurred with the replacement server so the original was put back into production and the unallocated space was reduced by half from 2 days worth of RPs.

Any assistance would be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Sunday, March 15, 2015 4:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Deleting recovery points only frees up used space on the recovery point volume, it never returns space to the storage pool.  To reclaim unused space on a recovery point volume and return it to the DPM storage pool, you need to shrink the recovery point volume. 

Please review the following blog:

How much can I shrink recovery point volumes with DPM2010

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, March 16, 2015 8:23 PM
  • Hi,

Deleting an intermediate recovery point is physically not possible because older recovery points are dependent on newer recovery points.  This is the reason why you must select a date/time to delete from and the script deletes all older ones.  So even if someone wrote a script to delete an intermediate RP, under the covers the shadow copy for that recovery would still need to be maintained, so no real disk space would be freed up. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, March 16, 2015 8:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Deleting recovery points only frees up used space on the recovery point volume, it never returns space to the storage pool.  To reclaim unused space on a recovery point volume and return it to the DPM storage pool, you need to shrink the recovery point volume. 

Please review the following blog:

How much can I shrink recovery point volumes with DPM2010

Monday, March 16, 2015 8:23 PM
  • Mike,

OK, understood and Thank You!  I ran that script from the blog and was able to recover 11.6GB.

Question: is there a way to delete individual Recovery Points?  The Ruud Bars script I mentioned above only allows me to delete Recovery Points before (and including) a time specified when running the script.

For example, for a large Protection Group member, I have multiple Recovery Points for 03/15/2015.  I'd like to remove the extra RPs.  Can I do that?

Thanks in advance,

Joe 

Monday, March 16, 2015 8:43 PM
  • Hi,

Deleting an intermediate recovery point is physically not possible because older recovery points are dependent on newer recovery points.  This is the reason why you must select a date/time to delete from and the script deletes all older ones.  So even if someone wrote a script to delete an intermediate RP, under the covers the shadow copy for that recovery would still need to be maintained, so no real disk space would be freed up. 

Monday, March 16, 2015 8:54 PM
  • OK, thanks again, Mike!

Joe

Monday, March 16, 2015 8:58 PM