none
How to use MDT without DHCP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

How to use MDT without DHCP.

My client don't have any DHCP Server, we are using Nearly 600 Subnet. My client Suggest to go with Remotely.

How is it possible to run remotely without DHCP ?

Let me know the recommended Bandwidth for OS Deployment remotely.

Many Thanks and Replies greately appreciated :)

Regards, Hari Prasad.D

Regards, Hari Prasad.D

Monday, September 16, 2013 2:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Hari,

Thanks for e-mail earlier. This is a tricky one. Large scale deployment without DHCP? Maddness!

The posts I wrote were for lab and extreme circumstances where DHCP is not available. I'm not sure how well it would scale.

I suggest following the posts I wrote, testing it in a lab and try to scale it out. If you want to just refresh machines with static addresses then this post covers it:

MDT: Refreshing computers with Static IP Addresses

Hope this helps.

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by D Hari Prasad Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:56 AM
    Monday, September 16, 2013 8:00 PM
  • Hari,

The image now needs to be imported as a custom WIM file, right back in to MDT. Then you need to create a deploy task sequence. When you have created your deployment task sequence, you can then create bootable media preferably done by selection profiles. Then update your media content, an ISO will be generated, copy the contents of the ISO to an bootable USB stick.

This should be all, and you would have known that If you had read the link I have provided for you.

I would have expected more effort from your side instead of taking the easy way, and just posing basic questions on a forum like this.

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

• Marked as answer by D Hari Prasad Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:53 AM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Hari,

Thanks for e-mail earlier. This is a tricky one. Large scale deployment without DHCP? Maddness!

The posts I wrote were for lab and extreme circumstances where DHCP is not available. I'm not sure how well it would scale.

I suggest following the posts I wrote, testing it in a lab and try to scale it out. If you want to just refresh machines with static addresses then this post covers it:

MDT: Refreshing computers with Static IP Addresses

Hope this helps.

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by D Hari Prasad Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:56 AM
    Monday, September 16, 2013 8:00 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your reply. Your forum helps me lot to roll out Win7.

Tried but not working.

I didn't configure DHCP. With installing DHCP Role it will work ?

Regards, Hari Prasad.D

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:55 AM
  • Hi Hari,

I think Andrew is assuming you have configured with a static IP upfront, like he explaines in this blog: MDT: Manually configure a Static IP Address during LTI Deployments

However to do this automatically for one machine each time and time again, you can consider, placing the following information in your bootstrap.ini AND customsettings.ini:

[00:00:00:00:00]
    OSDAdapterCount=1
    OSDAdapter0EnableDHCP=FALSE
    OSDAdapter0IPAddressList=192.168.1.45
    OSDAdapter0SubnetMask=255.255.255.0
    OSDAdapter0Gateways=192.168.1.1
    OSDAdapter0DNSServerList=192.168.1.11,192.168.1.12
    OSDAdapter0DNSSuffix=contoso.local

Next update your deploymentshare (so your bootstrap.ini gets updated with this information) and do the deployment.

This way, a static IP will be configurated for a machine with a certain mac-address. Quite handy for deploying to virtual machines

• Marked as answer by D Hari Prasad Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:19 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by D Hari Prasad Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:19 PM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 11:58 AM
  • Hi Rens,

Thanks for your reply.

For Single machine Scenario this one is ok, But how we can proceed this for  4000 Clients with single IP Address.

Regards, Hari Prasad.D

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:21 PM
  • Use DHCP?

How can it be possible that you have an environment where you have 4000 clients that don't have DHCP, are we talking clients? servers? virtual clients? virtual servers?.

If find it a bit odd, that DHCP on such a large number of client's would not be possible...

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:25 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

I capture Image and That is saved in \\Server\DeploymentShare$\Captures\WIN&IMAGE.WIM

and i created media and that is saved in one path. Now I dono how to Deploy OS with USB ?

If i copied .iso file that is saved in Media Folder. OS not getting install automatically Restarting again and again.

Dono how to use that .WIM file

Let me know the Clear procedure to Deploy OS Normally with USB. My WMI file Size is 8.2 GB

Regards, Hari Prasad.D

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:27 PM
  • But my client requirement is like that, they are using nearly 600 Subnets. Bandwidth also very slow 256kbs

Regards, Hari Prasad.D

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:33 PM
  • Hi Hari,

Read this blog about creating MDT Offline Media: Create Windows Media for Deployment and if the bandwidth is slow, may I advise that you don't use online deployments at all. If you say it is 256kbs, then your entire network will clog because of the network traffic caused by MDT.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:40 PM
  • Hi Rens,

For manually i did below steps,

I capture Image and That is saved in \\Server\DeploymentShare$\Captures\WIN&IMAGE.WIM

and i created media and that is saved in one path. Now I dono how to Deploy OS with USB ?

If i copied .iso file that is saved in Media Folder. OS not getting install automatically Restarting again and again.

Dono how to use that .WIM file

Let me know the Clear procedure to Deploy OS Normally with USB. My WMI file Size is 8.2 GB

Regards, Hari Prasad.D

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Without wishing to offend you, theres no need to be asking such large questions as "how do I deploy" on the forums. I would suggest using the MDT help file included with the installer, it's a genuinely useful piece of kit and will walk you through everything, including making a USB stick bootable and copying the contents of the ISO on to it for deployment purposes.

As for 4000 machines without IP addresses, the only logical response to that is to use DHCP. Having said that an alternative would be to have a static IP on the server and manually enter IP details on each and every machine you build.

I'll happily help with specific questions, but you need to gain a clear understanding of MDT so you can at least ask the correct questions first.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:46 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

I capture image using Below link.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2009/10/06/how-to-run-a-sysprep-and-capture-task-sequence-from-mdt-2010.aspx

Windows image also created in captures folder. I can't able make that file into USB bootable.

Regards, Hari Prasad.D

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:49 PM
  • Hari,

The image now needs to be imported as a custom WIM file, right back in to MDT. Then you need to create a deploy task sequence. When you have created your deployment task sequence, you can then create bootable media preferably done by selection profiles. Then update your media content, an ISO will be generated, copy the contents of the ISO to an bootable USB stick.

This should be all, and you would have known that If you had read the link I have provided for you.

I would have expected more effort from your side instead of taking the easy way, and just posing basic questions on a forum like this.

• Marked as answer by D Hari Prasad Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:53 AM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:42 PM