Stuck downloading Feature update to Windows 10 Pro, 1607 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

Test environment.

Fresh VM installation of Windows 2K12 R2 with WSUS role installed.  Applied necessary patches and completed manual post install steps prior to enabling "Upgrades" classification to aviod the database corruption issue.  Added .esd to MIME in IIS.

Fresh VM install of Windows 10 Pro version 10.0 (Build 10240).  Edited gpedit.msc to get Windows updates from new Windows 2K12 RS WSUS.  It connects to WSUS and is seen in WSUS management console.  It downloads several updates an they are "Waiting for install" but the overall download is stuck at 26% becasue it is stuck downloading "Feature update to Windows 10 Pro, version 1607, en-us.

This is not a domain setup, and both the server and workstation VMs are set to the same workgroup named WSUS2K12.

What am I overlooking that is keeping the upgrade from downloading?

I am nearing the end of my rope!

Thanks

Thursday, March 23, 2017 1:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Pearadice,

1. On the WSUS server, please ensure we have installed both KB3095113 and KB3159706(with manual steps)

2. Please ensure the Windows 10 1607 upgrade file is downloaded after installing the above KBs, if not, we need to re-download it;

3. Since the clients are downloading other updates, then, please make the client download and install other updates first, after the client is patched, make them download and install windows 10 1607 upgrade separately, check if it could help.

To do this, you may stop the windows update service, then delete or rename SoftwareDistribtion folder(C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution), then, start windows update services. On the WSUS server, not approve 1607 upgrade, then check update on client sides again to make them download and install other updates, after then, approve win10 1607 again.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 24, 2017 5:52 AM
  • Hi Anne,

Yes, KB3095113 and KB3159706 (with manual steps completed) were both installed prior to checking the upgrades box within the classifications choices.  I also added .esd application/octet-stream to the top level (at the computer name) within IIS and it shows up in the Mime types list as inherited within the WSUS Administration Site within IIS.

I followed your steps above to successfully apply all other patches to my Windows 10 VM, and then re-approved the 'Feature update to Windows 10 Pro, version 1607, en-us'.  My Windows 10 VM sees the available upgrade but is still not able to download it.  It just sits at 0%.  WSUS console shows that this upgrade is needed by my Windows 10 VM.

Do you have additional suggestions?

I appreciate your assistance!

Monday, March 27, 2017 5:30 PM
  • Hi Peradice,

1. Just check again:

2. Do you also recreate SoftwareDistribution folder on client? If not, also do that and re-download, check the result;

3. On the WSUS server, also restart IIS site.

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 9:03 AM
  • Anne,

I checked again and yes, .esd is correctly configured.

SoftwareDistribution recreated itself; I did not have to recreate it manually.

I had rebooted the WSUS server after adding .esd to IIS.  As requested, I have stopped and re-started the web site as well.

I am still not able to download 1607 upgrade.

:(

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 8:32 PM
  • Hi Pearadice,

Then, I would suggest the following things:

1. Enable IIS log on the WSUS server, check the detailed WSUS IIS log to troubleshoot the issue further;

2. Try re-installing the WSUS server and patch with the above KBs, check if re-install could work.

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, March 30, 2017 6:30 AM
    1. Reinstalled Windows Server 2012 R2 VM (stand-alone server)
    2. Applied all windows updates until it said no updates needed
    3. Added WSUS Role
    4. Completed post installation configuration, including initial synchronization to retrieve product and classifications offerings.
    5. Configured WSUS to download only approved patches
    6. Applied KB3095113
    7. Applied KB3159706
    8. Completed post KB3159706 setup steps
    9. Added .esd (application/octet-stream) to Mime Types in IIS
    10. Completed selections of products and classifications, including selection of "Upgrades"
    11. Completed a synchronization. (several hours to complete)
    12. Declined all superseded items.
    13. Approved all remaining items and waited for all updates to download (almost 2 days)
    14. Booted up my Windows 10 test VM and checked for updates.
    15. Windows 10 VM sees the 1607 upgrade, but still refuses to begin downloading

Do the above steps appear to be in the correct order? 

"1. Enable IIS log on the WSUS server, check the detailed WSUS IIS log to troubleshoot the issue further;"

How do I enable this log?  I have searched without success.

Regards.

• Edited by Pearadice Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:08 PM
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 7:55 PM