none
Exchange 2003 information store always inconsistant RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have never been able to get a consistent backup of my Exchange 2003 information store. I found an article explaining that Data Protection Manager 2010 can't run eseutil as it is a 32 bit app and this user had taken the 64 bit version from Exchange 2007. Is this a safe thing to do and is this likely to be the issue?

Best wishes

Michael

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 7:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

Taking the eseutil.exe and ese.dll from X64 Exchange 2007 and putting them on DPM 2010 should work fine.

I think I would try restoring the exchange recovery point to a network share on the exchange 2003 server and try running the 32 bit eseutil.exe manually and see if it reports the same error. If so, we may have real problems with the backups.  If no errors, try restoring the same RP to the DPM Server and run the x64 version of the tools and see if we get that same error.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 12:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please reference the following article to help you put the correct eseutil binaries on the DPM server.

Error 0x800700D8 occurs when you use Data Protection Manager 2007 to protect Exchange storage groups
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;970640

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 8:10 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I have copied the same eseutil.exe and dll from my Exchange 2003 so they're the same. The error says the following

Data consistency verification check failed for LOGS of Storage Group XXXX on server.domain.com (ID 30146 Details: Unknown error (0xffffffc01)(0xFFFFFFC01))

Did mention the wrong version of eseutil being used, but nothing about 32 or 64 bit like the Tech Note above. This is Data Protection Manager 2010.

Best wishes

Michael

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 9:17 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Taking the eseutil.exe and ese.dll from X64 Exchange 2007 and putting them on DPM 2010 should work fine.

I think I would try restoring the exchange recovery point to a network share on the exchange 2003 server and try running the 32 bit eseutil.exe manually and see if it reports the same error. If so, we may have real problems with the backups.  If no errors, try restoring the same RP to the DPM Server and run the x64 version of the tools and see if we get that same error.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 12:06 AM