Windows SteadyState and IBM Laptop x41 fingerprint software RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I installed Windows SteadyState on one of IBM Laptops X41 and it has Think Vantage Fingerprint Software installed.

When the user tries to enroll the fingers and the message comes up

Can not find fingerprint sensor device and erro code 0xe7210005.

Any one has any idea?

Thanks.

Thursday, August 9, 2007 9:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Tic1745,

We have done a local test. The fingerprint for IBM Laptop x41 indeed failed to work after installing SteadyState. The same error message was received.

After disabling the SteadyState service with the Clean Boot steps, the fingerprint works again. From the test, it can be a incompatibility issue between the fingerprint driver and SteadyState service. Currently, we are performing further research on this issue and will forward this problem to  the product team. If there is any progress on this, we will post here as soon as possible. 

Best Regards,

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 9:51 AM

All replies

• Hi Tic1745,

Before we go any further, I would appreciate your help in clarifying the following questions:

1. Could you log onto the system using a password now?

2. Did this issue occur right after installing SteadyState?

3. Have any other hardware or software changes been made recently?

If you can log onto the system, please uncheck all Computer Restrictions and set accounts as “No Restrictions” to check the result.  As the issue can also be caused by software conflicts or hardware problem, we can perform the following steps to narrow down the problem:

Step 1: Reinstall Think Vantage Fingerprint Software

--------------------

1. Click Start and then Run.

2. Type in “appwiz.cpl” without quotations.

3. Please try to remove the fingerprint software from the program list.

4. Restart the computer and reinstall the program.

Step 2: Clean Boot

--------------------

1. Click Start, go to Run, and type "msconfig" in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All.

Note: If the fingerprint system has related service and programs, please make sure they are selected in the Services and Startup tabs.

4. Click OK. Restart the computer to check this issue.

If the issue doesn't occur with all non-Microsoft services disabled, we can only enable the SteadyState service from the Services tab to check whether it’s the root cause.

Based on my further research, error code 0xe7210005 can also be caused by other factors such as BIOS update in the following forum.

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=38062

For your reference, I also included IBM’s support website:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/homeLenovo.do

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Best Regards,

Monday, August 13, 2007 9:34 AM
  • Hi Shawn Shao,

1. yes I could log in to the system using the password

2. yes. After I installed the SteadyState and asked me to reboot and I did.  After reboot I got the message

"Please connect the fingerprint reader"

3. nope.  I only installed the SteadyState and I only turned on the WDP on and I cleared all the restriction and I am using the built Admin account.

If I uninstalled the SteadyState the finger print software works fine.

Any clues?

Thanks.

Monday, August 13, 2007 4:38 PM
  • Hi Tic1745,

We have done a local test. The fingerprint for IBM Laptop x41 indeed failed to work after installing SteadyState. The same error message was received.

After disabling the SteadyState service with the Clean Boot steps, the fingerprint works again. From the test, it can be a incompatibility issue between the fingerprint driver and SteadyState service. Currently, we are performing further research on this issue and will forward this problem to  the product team. If there is any progress on this, we will post here as soon as possible. 

Best Regards,

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 9:51 AM
  • Hi Shawn,

thanks

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 2:27 AM