Explorer: dynamic multi-dimensional scrolling (automatic horizontal scroll) not working RRS feed

• Question

• For some reason the "dynamic multi-dimensional scrolling" - or the automatic horizontal scroll - in Explorer's left hand folder pane doesn't work for me.

When I expand the tree by several layers, the tree is supposed to scroll left or right automatically so I can see the folders deeper in the tree.  I seem to remember it worked OK when I had Vista.

However, it has never worked for me in W7.   The only way I can get to see the deeper folders is by grabbing the vertical divider bar and dragging it across to the right.

What could be the problem, do you think?  Any settings that affect it?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, suggestions or comments.

SteveT

PS: Running W7 Pro 32-bit, with an NVidia graphics card.  All patches and updates applied.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Thack, I’m afraid it is by design. Automatic horizontal scroll does not exist in Windows 7 explorer when you expand the tree by several layers. If you want to see the deep folder, you can click the folder, and the whole path and the name will appear on the top of explorer. Or you can put the mouse on the folder for a while, it will appear the whole name automatically.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, September 30, 2010 12:37 AM
    Friday, September 24, 2010 8:30 AM
  • Thanks for replying, Leo.

Do you mean the automatic horizontal scroll - which was introduced in Vista - has been removed again?  How extraordinary!!

In XP you had a horizontal scroll bar.  I can understand Microsoft deciding Vista's auto horizontal scrolling wasn't a good idea, but to remove it without reinstating the scroll bar is unbelievable.  We've got the worst of both worlds!

Actually, I knew about the hovering or clicking methods for seeing the full folder name.  My problem is, when expanding the tree, the folders can disappear out of sight altogether, so you have to move the vertical divider simply to see them at all.

Anyway, thank you for confirming that it has been removed from W7.  At least I know there's nothing wrong with my machine!

Regards,

SteveT

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, September 30, 2010 12:36 AM
    Friday, September 24, 2010 5:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Thack, I’m afraid it is by design. Automatic horizontal scroll does not exist in Windows 7 explorer when you expand the tree by several layers. If you want to see the deep folder, you can click the folder, and the whole path and the name will appear on the top of explorer. Or you can put the mouse on the folder for a while, it will appear the whole name automatically.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, September 30, 2010 12:37 AM
    Friday, September 24, 2010 8:30 AM
  • Thanks for replying, Leo.

Do you mean the automatic horizontal scroll - which was introduced in Vista - has been removed again?  How extraordinary!!

In XP you had a horizontal scroll bar.  I can understand Microsoft deciding Vista's auto horizontal scrolling wasn't a good idea, but to remove it without reinstating the scroll bar is unbelievable.  We've got the worst of both worlds!

Actually, I knew about the hovering or clicking methods for seeing the full folder name.  My problem is, when expanding the tree, the folders can disappear out of sight altogether, so you have to move the vertical divider simply to see them at all.

Anyway, thank you for confirming that it has been removed from W7.  At least I know there's nothing wrong with my machine!

Regards,

SteveT

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, September 30, 2010 12:36 AM
    Friday, September 24, 2010 5:09 PM
  • Hi Thack

Everyone is encouraged to submit feedback with their thoughts, recommendations, and ideas using the following online form.

Windows 7 feedback - Speak to us at Microsoft

Thanks,

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 12:10 AM