Replacing a HDD RRS feed

• Question

• I have a number of Thinkpad laptops in the field. They are all Windows 7. We are seeing HDD failures and need to replace the disks.

We plan to reload the OS from the original distribution, add all the fix packs bringing it to the current level. This because over time the system has accumulated all manner of digital flotsam ( drivers no longer used, software that was installed but failed, or was superseded, etc, etc. ). We note that even though you may delete these components vestiges remain; services still run, unnecessary patches are still applied and files remain and some are un-deletable. So far, routine stuff.

Now, we have an accumulation of free and purchased software we want to restore. We don't have many of the needed install packages, original keys, etc, etc. so we want to restore the backed up versions. Here too not too complicated.

The question then arises; can we keep the fresh copy of the OS, and restore the backed up versions of the rest of the bits and pieces?

Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

How was your HDD? Did it completely broke down? Please attach it to another computer to check if it could be detected.

If yes, backup all you want directly.

If no, please bring it to data recovery center to seek for professional help.

In addition, the application which you purchased have some credential in order to re-install.

If you have lost, contact its support. It's beyond the scope of Microsoft support.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Wednesday, May 7, 2014 10:12 AM
    Monday, April 28, 2014 9:42 AM

All replies

• The question then arises; can we keep the fresh copy of the OS, and restore the backed up versions of the rest of the bits and pieces?
    No, you can't. This is why it is essential to keep copies all installation software and product codes.
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 5:17 PM
  • Unfortunately, for me, Microsoft, among others, offers download service for some of its products. To recover the site and key is, in many cases impossible (the site has moved, the key no longer works - a recent problem with a Microsoft product). In a number of cases, including anti-virus, you cannot re-install it without purchasing a new subscription.

All this said, the consumer gets the short end of the straw with Microsoft. Were it there was any competition.

Here is a novel idea....  Have the UNINSTALL provide the means to re-install.  Not a particularly difficult task.

/*

Thursday, April 24, 2014 5:51 PM
  • Unfortunately, for me, Microsoft, among others, offers download service for some of its products. [. . .] All this said, the consumer gets the short end of the straw with Microsoft. Were it there was any competition.

Can't quite see why it should be unfortunate for you if MS and others offer download services for their products. Anyway, I have never seen an MS product for which the original key no longer works, provided that it was used in conjunction with the original installation media.

Saying that the uninstall program should be able to create a re-install program is equivalent to suggesting that the bulldozer driver wrecking your house should be able to turn out a set of architect's plans to rebuild the house.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 7:59 PM
  • Try to re-install Visio 2003 with the key it came with. "This key is not valid for this product configuration.". It worked in 2003 when I installed it. And the key is on the box the CD that came in.

The install program, if it is the Microsoft version, has everything it needs to make a re-install; the sources, the keys. Your analogy is simply incorrect.

I would love to debate the merits of the current model of Windows software management. It is wholly self-serving and not in the best interest of the customer; the benefits of being a monopoly. In their favor - they are in the business to sell software and make a profit. I am not maligning Microsoft, just observing they could do better.

Alas, this is not the forum to have this discussion.

Have a nice day.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:55 PM
  • This went down one path and I got an answer of "NO".

Can I try again, same question?

It would seem that it is somehow possible to bring the OS back to stock without causing re-installation of all the non-OS components. Is the answer still NO!

Thursday, April 24, 2014 9:01 PM
  • Hi,

How was your HDD? Did it completely broke down? Please attach it to another computer to check if it could be detected.

If yes, backup all you want directly.

If no, please bring it to data recovery center to seek for professional help.

In addition, the application which you purchased have some credential in order to re-install.

If you have lost, contact its support. It's beyond the scope of Microsoft support.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Wednesday, May 7, 2014 10:12 AM
    Monday, April 28, 2014 9:42 AM