Windows animations (maximize, minimize) are gone. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

Although the Computer performance settings are set to "Adjust for best appearance" windows animations are gone each time I reboot my laptop. I have to "ummark" and "mark" again the "Animate Windows when minimizing and maximizing" settings to bring it back.

Does anyone know where (in registry) to force animations and what are the keys and entry names and values?

Cheers.
    Monday, October 6, 2008 9:35 PM

Answers

• user="wqwojtek"]Hi.

Although the Computer performance settings are set to "Adjust for best appearance" windows animations are gone each time I reboot my laptop. I have to "ummark" and "mark" again the "Animate Windows when minimizing and maximizing" settings to bring it back.

Does anyone know where (in registry) to force animations and what are the keys and entry names and values?

Cheers.

The 'Animate Windows when minimizing and maximizing' registry value is here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

String Value: MinAnimate

Value:

1 = Animation Enabled

0 = Animation Disabled

If you find that the value changes when you reboot, it could be that the 'No Save Settings' is enabled.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

DWord(32bit) Value: NoSaveSettings

Value:

1 = Settings are NOT saved on reboot

0 = Settings ARE saved on reboot

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, October 6, 2008 11:55 PM

All replies

• user="wqwojtek"]Hi.

Cheers.

The 'Animate Windows when minimizing and maximizing' registry value is here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

String Value: MinAnimate

Value:

1 = Animation Enabled

0 = Animation Disabled

If you find that the value changes when you reboot, it could be that the 'No Save Settings' is enabled.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

DWord(32bit) Value: NoSaveSettings

Value:

1 = Settings are NOT saved on reboot

0 = Settings ARE saved on reboot

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, October 6, 2008 11:55 PM
  • Hi.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics String Value: MinAnimate solved the issue. Many thanks!

Wednesday, October 8, 2008 9:46 PM
  • Hi

That's great! Glad this helped.

Enjoy.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Wednesday, October 8, 2008 9:56 PM