none
How to disable the DPM for 1 day RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have some problems with an export in the night so we want to disable DPM for 1 day. I'm new to DPM so I don't know how to do this in the good way (I've googled and searched this forum, without any satisfaction). Should I just cancel all jobs for today? If I do this, are the jobs for tomorrow still present? Or is there an other option to skip the backup for 1 day?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 10:46 AM

Answers

• In order to skip all the alerts and keep the DPM server up and running (i had one costumer that had physical DPM server without ILO) just disable all the agents and no job will run :)

Hope that helps,

Laith

If you found this helpful please mark it as an Answer.

• Marked as answer by Lucas Janssen Friday, January 6, 2012 11:09 AM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 9:32 PM

All replies

• In the Monitoring-> Jobs view, create a filter for the period in which jobs are scheduled. You can then select the scheduled jobs that will be impacted and cancel them. They will not run for that period and will run at the next scheduled time.

DPM will not attempt to re-run those cancelled tasks if it is offline during the originally scheduled time for those protection tasks. In my experience if the DPM server if offline when scheduled protection would run it does not attempt to re-run missed jobs when the server is started after the scheduled recovery point times.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 12:17 PM
  • Thank you. You must shutdown the DPM server? Also if you've canceled the jobs?
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 12:52 PM
  • Turning off the DPM server is probably the easiest way to do it if you want to stop all DPM activity in your environment.

If you only need to stop DPM protection on one or a few file servers, you can disable the appropriate agents in the DPM management console. Then just re-enable them when you want to resume protection on those servers.

• Edited by Rod Savard Wednesday, January 4, 2012 2:30 PM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 2:30 PM
  • It is not necessary to shut down the DPM server to ensure protection does not take place but as Rod suggested it's a very easy way to stop protection for a day.

In the scenario where you do nothing (no cancelled jobs and you didn't shutdown DPM), DPM will simply fail on protection of the servers it can't reach and when those servers are backup up will continue protection. You would just receive a large number of failed alerts depending on the number of scheduled jobs.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 8:29 PM
  • In order to skip all the alerts and keep the DPM server up and running (i had one costumer that had physical DPM server without ILO) just disable all the agents and no job will run :)

Hope that helps,

Laith

If you found this helpful please mark it as an Answer.

• Marked as answer by Lucas Janssen Friday, January 6, 2012 11:09 AM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 9:32 PM