VSS issue - eating up all the space on drives RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, Suspecting we have some issues with VSS like eating up most of the space on C Drive , so can you please let me know how can I fixed that. i know while restarting the VSS service this can be fixed but i am looking for in which we should not restart the any service or any thing , just a permanent fix.

This is happening on few of the servers, so while check the below URL I found that there is something to do with Reduce, or Change the Maximum Allocated Shadow Copy (System Restore) Space Size and when I checked on my servers I got the below but I do not know what exact space should I mentioned and what to set.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-change-and-limit-system-restore-storage-space-usage-size-in-vista-with-vssadmin/

As I mentioned that this is happening on other servers as well so do we have any script or some way through which I can fix for all there server of if manual intervention is required then what would be the best way to accomplish this .

C:\Users\Administrator>vssadmin List ShadowStorage

vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool

(C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.

Shadow Copy Storage association

For volume: (\\?\Volume{542c5846-2eca-11e2-9877-806e6f6e6963}\)\\?\Volume{542

c5846-2eca-11e2-9877-806e6f6e6963}\

Shadow Copy Storage volume: (C:)\\?\Volume{542c5847-2eca-11e2-9877-806e6f6e69

63}\

Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 4.031 MB (0%)

Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 2.035 GB (2%)

Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: UNBOUNDED (100%)

Shadow Copy Storage association

For volume: (C:)\\?\Volume{542c5847-2eca-11e2-9877-806e6f6e6963}\

Shadow Copy Storage volume: (C:)\\?\Volume{542c5847-2eca-11e2-9877-806e6f6e69

63}\

Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 3.514 GB (4%)

Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 5.666 GB (7%)

Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: UNBOUNDED (100%)

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 8:15 AM

Answers

• Since we've determined it's the VSS snapshots, you can free up the space by 1) manually deleting the GUIDs you see in System Volume Information, or 2) Changing the amount of disk space available to VSS. (I prefer #2, since it keeps the problem from coming back, unlike just deleting a bunch of VSS snapshots.)

Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Shared Folders (right click) -> All Tasks -> Configure Shadow Copies... -> Select Volume -> Settings.

Change the limit to something "proper." While you're in there, you can also delete individual shadow copies from the GUI.

VSS dialogue

U can use this also: vssadmin list shadows (to list the shadow copies and then run) -- vssadmin delete shadows (to delete the listed shadow copies) but i should recommend the 2 option.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:51 PM

All replies

• i have modified script using wmi..

but below script does not show for which drive it referring to?

i want to get drive id, such as c: or D: and then the shadow copy space occuped by that part of drive.

below is the code to get used space by vsc.

strComputer = "."
    Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\CIMV2")
    Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery( _
        "SELECT * FROM Win32_ShadowStorage",,48)

For Each objItem in colItems

Wscript.Echo "UsedSpace: " & usdspace1

alpace1=objItem.AllocatedSpace
           alpace1=alpace1/(1024*1024*1024) // to get the space in GB
     'Wscript.Echo "AllocatedSpace: " & alpace1
     Wscript.Echo "DiffVolume: " & objItem.DiffVolume

usdspace1=objItem.UsedSpace
        usdspace1=usdspace1/(1024*1024*1024) // to get the space in GB
    wscript.echo "usdspace=" & usdspace1
     Wscript.Echo "DiffVolume: " & objItem.DiffVolume
        Wscript.Echo "Volume: " & objItem.Volume
    Next

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:38 AM
  • I found this simple article explaining how to reduce Shadow Copy Storage via command prompt. 

http://www.techencounters.com/windows/reduce-increase-or-change-the-maximum-allocated-shadow-copy-space-size/

Sunday, June 26, 2016 1:15 PM