none
Backup Outlook

Question

• This is a question about Office 2016 (and maybe O365 as well).

How can I make a complete backup of an Outlook environment? I know that I can backup the specific .pst or .ost files, but the don't hold the accounts' settings etc... What have Microsoft got to offer here?

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 1:56 PM

All replies

• There is nothing separate here specific to Outlook. The Outlook configuration is included when you backup your entire computer or user profile.

In contrast, Outlook offers a really simple configuration process for most accounts; All you have to do is fill out your name, email address and password to reconfigure an account.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:57 PM
  • You may be right that everyting is included when the entire profile (or system) is backed up, but if I want to restore just Outlook, with it's accounts and settings - What files/folders should I choose?

It is not allways that simple as you proclaim. There are situations when there are many accounts set up in Outlook and if the mail servers aren't configured with standard settings there'll be alot of manual work to do.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 3:19 PM
  • I know that it is not that simple, but you asked what Microsoft offers here ;-)

Individual account settings aren't intended to be backed up as there are many Registry keys and values and also many location specific files that make up the Mail Profile as a whole. Due to location and computer dependencies, Microsoft doesn't support backing up and restoring the Registry settings and files but will always insist on recreating the Mail Profile to get yourself in a supported state again.

That said, there are some files and settings which you can individually backup and restore.
    See; Files and Settings guide for Outlook

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 3:41 PM
  • Okay, as expected then... Never a smooth solution from MS ;-o

Thanks anyway Roady for trying to help.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 4:07 PM
  • You're welcome! :-)