none
Windows 10 not starting

Question

• Our group has a few computers that will not boot into Windows 10.  They go into repair mode , and eventually it goes to a troubleshooting screen.  We tried the options such as system restore, go back to a previous build, or boot up using safe mode.  None of these options work.  The only option that seems to work is to reset Windows.

Windows reset is not a good option for us, because we have several third party applications on the computers, which are removed during the Windows reset.  Also the user's profile data for apps such as Firefox, Chrome, and Thunderbird are lost. Any suggestions for resolving this problem.

Note: these computer are running Windows 10 Enterprise version 1607, however, I am not sure if they were updated to version1703, and this is causing the problem.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 8:40 PM

All replies

• Firstly, try to use a bootable installation media to repair system. If can’t repair, system restore is the common method. However, if you don’t have a recovery point to use. I am afraid that reset system is the only way, you need to reinstall your apps after system reset.

But you could backup the user data before system reset, insert an USB flash drive and use command-line to copy data from computer to this USB drive. Or just insert the hard disk into another healthy computer via SATA to USB cable, then copy data.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 7:09 AM
  • If update process has trouble, you could download 1703 Enterprise iso image file to upgrade. My 1607 Enterprise machine were using this method to upgrade.

Regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 7:11 AM
  • One more thing I forgot to mention is that after Windows tries to do a repair, I get a message saying inaccesible boot media, then the computer restarts and goes into options to troubleshoot
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:05 PM
  • If you can't enter system, I suggest to use media creation tool to create a bootable USB drive, then use it to reinstall system.

You could copy your data to other partition via command-line in WinPE.

Friday, April 28, 2017 8:07 AM
  • I resolved the issue by going the command prompt under troubleshooting, and renaming the program files\ windowsapp directory.  I did a restart and allow the repairing pc process to happen again.  The did a system restore from the troubleshooting menu.  After the system restore was completed the computer was able to boot into windows again.  This has happened on about 10 computers so far, and it appears to have happened after the last Windows update for April.  Wondering if the update is corrupting that directory on some computers?
    Friday, April 28, 2017 8:36 PM
  • Glad to hear that you have resolved problem, renaming Windowsapp folder is a common method to deal with system  restore problem, your behavior is correct.

One more thing, you wonder to know if update will corrupt the system files and components, I want to say that it is possible, system files or components will broken during update, this situation will occur sometimes, that is why we need to use sfc /scannow or DISM command to repair system after update.

Please mark your reply to close this case.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 8:26 AM