Installing ConfigMgr2012 Client on XenDesktop 5.6 pooled Image RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Everyone,

as ConfigMgr2012 has a native awareness for Citrix Xendesktop 5.6 pooled VDIs, I am wondering how I install the ConfigMgr 2012 correctly on the master VM.

The ConfigMgr2012 Client ID is handled very well, even after a reboot from a readonly (pooled) VDI. This part works without any configuration...

But I have issues with the hardware inventory of the cloned VMs. Citrix doesn't documented the feature very well and the only statement I could found about the correct client installation was something like "simply install the client and clone the VM as the rest is handled automatically". But is this true ? I think its correct for the ID stuff, as this part really works without modification.

But what about the normal recomendations for a "golden" VM ? --> "How to Install Configuration Manager Clients by Using Computer Imaging" in the configmgr documentation. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2ad4b21a-43bd-434e-b3bb-fc8744da7e9c

Hardware inventory seems to be rejected by the site when ever I ignore the advise to not assign the "golden" client to a Site. Do i need to care about this steps even in case of XenDesktop 5.6 ? Isn't this handled nativly ?

Someone has expirience with the integration into XenDesktop 5.6 and pooled VDIs ?

Thanks

Sunday, December 23, 2012 8:28 PM

All replies

• No one?
    • Proposed as answer by NPherson Saturday, December 29, 2012 6:24 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by NPherson Saturday, December 29, 2012 6:24 PM
    Saturday, December 29, 2012 4:56 PM
  • I believe I have seen something similar.

Any chance you are seeing "return code = 8" in your dataldr.log? As you eluded to, I expect your delta inventory files are being discared as a bad mif by dataldr. When the systems are reverted to the master image the inventory major/minor version are also reverted causing discards until the version expected by the site server is correct. I confirmed this in my case by finding the badmif for a system and dropping it back in the dataldr.box. I then compared the version reported in the dataldr.log to that in the database and found that the minor version being reported was several versions lower.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 1:39 AM
  • We have observed what I believe to be exactly the same issue - caused by duplicate CM 2012 Agent GUIDS due to the VM provisioning process, with resultant errror message "WARNING - Outdated report will be discarded. (sp return code = 8)" and a large number of MIF files in the BADMIFS directory.
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 3:58 PM
  • Any resolution to this?

I am experiencing the same and have followed the process detailed here http://www.vroege.biz/?p=569 but still receive badmifs from affected devices.

As Sebastian mentions Citrix sums it up by stating that this is all handled automatically. I'm starting to doubt this.

Cheers

Paul | sccmentor.wordpress.com

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 11:08 AM