Windows 10 customized start menu question? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to do make a customized start menu using the process of copying LayoutModification.xml file to the C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell folder. I am using a PowerShell script to do the copy xml file. The file copy is successful but when I login as a new user I do not see the customized start menu. I am doing the file copy in State Restore in the TS.

• Doing this on Win 10 Enterprise RTM joined to a domain
    • Do I need to delete/rename the existing file?
    • Do I need to rename my LayoutModification.xml file?
    • I am doing the LayoutModification.xml file copy in the correct place in the TS

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 8:34 PM

Answers

• Hi There,

I have done something similar in the last few days. I am using a command line task using xcopy to copy in the LayoutModifcations.xml file, however I have my task running during the Post install phase, just after the add Windows Recovery (WinRE) task.  This then allows all the profiles to get the modifications as the none have really been created yet. I am also using xcopy as I have tried using powershell and found it a bit flaky, probably me and my syntax.

The Post Install phase seems to be good to add command line tasks like rewriting files, copying certain files before the OS is fully up and running. At least at this point the Folder structure is in place and it seems to accept files getting copied in. Do not try to run anything as an application, as it will still complain that it is in the Winpe phase.

One last thing, I have created the modifications file, however so far it has not displayed exactly as I had it configured. I used the Export-Layout command I think to create the mod file, I created 2 rows of icons but when its applied it comes out with 3. It looks ok, a bit like throwing a five but hoping for a six. I had previously tried using the copy profile method, this turned it all ugly, missing out the group names in most of the groups, merging some of the groups together, so I thought this was a better approach.

Lastly I would be interested to hear about your success with other customisations such as user pictures, desktop backgrounds etc. I am trying to use the defaults as much as possible, the last Corporate image customisations were a nightmare for our Windows 7 image, probably spent more time on these than all the apps and drivers put together.

Cheers

Ewen.

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Thursday, September 3, 2015 10:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Norwood11 Sunday, September 6, 2015 6:05 AM
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 10:29 PM

All replies

• Hi There,

I have done something similar in the last few days. I am using a command line task using xcopy to copy in the LayoutModifcations.xml file, however I have my task running during the Post install phase, just after the add Windows Recovery (WinRE) task.  This then allows all the profiles to get the modifications as the none have really been created yet. I am also using xcopy as I have tried using powershell and found it a bit flaky, probably me and my syntax.

The Post Install phase seems to be good to add command line tasks like rewriting files, copying certain files before the OS is fully up and running. At least at this point the Folder structure is in place and it seems to accept files getting copied in. Do not try to run anything as an application, as it will still complain that it is in the Winpe phase.

One last thing, I have created the modifications file, however so far it has not displayed exactly as I had it configured. I used the Export-Layout command I think to create the mod file, I created 2 rows of icons but when its applied it comes out with 3. It looks ok, a bit like throwing a five but hoping for a six. I had previously tried using the copy profile method, this turned it all ugly, missing out the group names in most of the groups, merging some of the groups together, so I thought this was a better approach.

Lastly I would be interested to hear about your success with other customisations such as user pictures, desktop backgrounds etc. I am trying to use the defaults as much as possible, the last Corporate image customisations were a nightmare for our Windows 7 image, probably spent more time on these than all the apps and drivers put together.

Cheers

Ewen.

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Thursday, September 3, 2015 10:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Norwood11 Sunday, September 6, 2015 6:05 AM
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 10:29 PM
  • Thanks for the advice. I will give this a try on Monday. We too are trying to keep things as default. We skipped Windows 8.x all together.<o:p></o:p>

For the desktop backgrounds and pictures and default login screen we found that making them in an MSI install worked best for us. We are an SCCM shop and we would run a query if you did not have the entry in programs and features SCCM would install it. A quick uninstall reverts the computer back default. As pinning icons to the task bar I plan on doing this the unattend.xml.<o:p></o:p>

Thanks

Paul.<o:p></o:p>

Friday, September 4, 2015 5:19 AM
  • Quick question I tried to run the copy of the xml file in the post install using PowerShell. I am getting an error that PowerShell not detected. What are you using to copy the xml file to computer batch or vbs? If you do not mind can you please share what you are using?

Thanks

Paul

Friday, September 4, 2015 11:18 PM
  • Quick update after redoing my base image I was able to get the start menu to work. While I was looking for some more help I came across these post on pinning icons. I am going to give them a try to see what happens.

http://www.osd-couture.com/2015/07/windows-10-pin-to-start-is-back.html

http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2009/04/08/pin-items-to-the-start-menu-or-windows-7-taskbar-via-script.aspx
    Sunday, September 6, 2015 6:05 AM
  • Hi there,

I am using a run command line task to copy the LayoutModifications file to its location. The command line I am using is as follows:

xcopy.exe /cherkyi "%DEPLOYROOT%\Applications\DummyFolder\CorpStartLayout\LayoutModifications.xml" "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell"

I have created a Dummy folder location in the Applications folder and put all my custom file\scripts in there, you could substitute %SCRIPTROOT% root for %DEPLOYROOT% if you have got your xml stored in there. Our deployments are pretty much media based and I have had issues with leftover folders if they have been created in the %SCRIPTROOT% folder.

Your powershell script is maybe not working if you did not include the powershell module in your boot wim as the task is running in the WinPE phase. As a side note, I find xcopy to be more consistent when copying files into System olders etc. I am trying to do more with powershell, but if something works, it works.

Ewen.

Sunday, September 6, 2015 7:02 AM
  • You are correct about PS not working in boot wim. I had checked the box under features in MDT but for some reason it did not add the cab files. So what I did was go here:<o:p></o:p>

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\WinPE_OCs<o:p></o:p>

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\x86\WinPE_OCs<o:p></o:p>

Copy the cab files I needed into my tools folder on my MDT share. Updated my Share.<o:p></o:p>

Took a look at my deployment logs and found the PS could not find the C drive. I looked up further in the logs and found that the C: was mapped V. Quick update my PS to change C: to V: and I was good to go. <o:p></o:p>

Copy-Item -Path .\LayoutModification.xml -Destination "V:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\" -Force 

I am running it %SCRIPTROOT%. I do like your idea your idea of have this in Application folder. I think I will give that a try.

Thanks so much for the information.<o:p></o:p>

Paul <o:p></o:p>

Monday, September 7, 2015 4:55 AM
  • Hello,

I can get the Start Menu customizations to work after deploying the image but if I have the copy profile in the answer file set to true the Start Menu customizations are not there but the other changes I made in the captured image(desktop etc) are there. Seems to be one or the other depending on weather the copy profile is set to true. Does anyone know a way to get both to work together?

Monday, November 16, 2015 5:02 PM
  • Hello Bob

There is a know issue with Copy Profile in MDT

"Issues with CopyProfile *

We are aware of reports of issues regarding the CopyProfile property in Unattend.xml. We have not been able to reproduce this issue, and are working with the Windows team to investigate further. If you have a reproducible issue with CopyProfile, please open a case with Microsoft Support to troubleshoot."

You can find it here.

There is a post in this thread that talks about it. About 3/4 of the ways down. Look for user Dan_Vega gives some good advice on this.

Monday, November 16, 2015 5:28 PM
  • The Copy Profile works for me but when I have Copy Profile set to True and the start menu customization as part of my task sequence the start menu customization does not show up. If I set the Copt Profile to False the start menu customization works. One or the other. I would think I would need to pay to open a ticket with them to fix something they are aware of. I can't believe that they can't reproduce this.

How are others getting customizations such as the Desktop, showing hidden files, etc.?

Thursday, December 3, 2015 7:43 PM
  • I'm having the same issue and have posted it here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/55e1e8bd-4654-4205-b439-bdf5acabb5b1/exportimport-start-menu-layout-windows-10-1511?forum=win10itprosetup#c20f3e2e-d8f6-4b45-9aea-5abdb229a122
    Thursday, February 4, 2016 10:04 PM