WSUS appears to unapprove items automatically RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

We are running WSUS 3.0 Sp2 on w2k8 R2. I had to reinstall it the other day. It is a downstream server.

In the options for automatic approvals we have the default rule to approve critical and security updates.

After letting it download metadata and leave it sit for a few days, nothing was being automatically approved.

So yesterday I went through and manually approved everything.

Today when I looked it had decided to unapprove everything.

What do I need to do to ensure what is approved stays approved and why is it automatically unapproving nearly everything?

Thanks

David Z

Thursday, June 7, 2018 1:06 AM

All replies

• Hi David Z,

Could you please give me the screenshot of the automatic approvals rule? Based on my experience, the rule would effect only after you click "Run Rule" botton right after setting the rule. 

Hope this helps and feel free to contact me if there is any other question.

Best regards,
    Li Jianjie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Edited by Li Jianjie Thursday, June 7, 2018 8:40 AM
    Thursday, June 7, 2018 8:40 AM
  • Cant do screenshot as the network it is on has no access to the internet.

However it is as you would expect - when an update is in critical, security - approve for all comptuers.

Ill try the run rule.

Still wondering why my manual approval was reversed.

Thursday, June 7, 2018 8:53 PM
  • Problem is that when I run the rule, after a few minutes the console displays the Connection Error screen and I have to keep rerunning it.
    Thursday, June 7, 2018 9:09 PM
  • Hi David Z,

For your Connection Error, we recommend you to increase physical & virtual memory limit of WsusPool to a larger value (in IIS Application Pool). And then restart your computer.

Also, we can look for the related information in your Event Log

If the issue is resolved, run the rule again.

Hope this helps and feel free to contact me if there is any other question.

Best regards,
    Li Jianjie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Edited by Li Jianjie Friday, June 8, 2018 6:49 AM
    Friday, June 8, 2018 6:48 AM
  • Hi David Z,

We wonder whether your issue has been resolved. 

If it has, I would appreciate if you could mark my replies as answer if they help and post your solutions to share with others having the same problem.

If it has not, please feel free to contact us for further assistance.
    Thanks.

Best regards,
    Li Jianjie

• Edited by Li Jianjie Friday, June 22, 2018 10:49 AM
    Friday, June 22, 2018 10:48 AM
  • It just fixed itself eventually. I think the real solution is not to run WSUS 3.0 as its old and buggy.
    Friday, June 22, 2018 3:30 PM