none
Add a favorites link to Internet Explorer

Question

• Hello,

On Server 2008 R2, I have added links to a favorites folder in Group Policy via User Configuration->Preferences->Windows Settings->Shortcuts.  I have pushed out several before and seems to work.  Today a edited an existing link and used Replace for the action.  The edited link indeed is pushed out, but the old link is still there.  I used to Replace to make sure it gets pushed to new users since it would also get added if it does not exist, rather than using update.

How can I delete the old link?  I can't do a delete because it is no longer in the GP Windows Setting shortcuts list.  Only the edited version.

Also new edited (replaced link) is appended at the bottom of the IE favorites links list at the workstations.  And old one is at the top.  If I can't delete the old one, how can I get the replaced link to be at the top of the list?

Thanks much!

DDaleS

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 12:10 PM

All replies

• > How can I delete the old link?  I can't do a delete because it is no longer in the GP Windows Setting shortcuts list.  Only the edited version.

Create a new Shortcut, name it appropriately and choose "delete" as action. If you modify a file system item's name/path, it will always create a new file/folder/shortcut, because there's no reference to the original name within the GPP item.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 4:21 PM
  • Thank you!  I will give that a go.

DDaleS

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 7:15 PM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue is going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 2:29 AM