Bug? - Expression.Error: The field 'QueryFolding' of the record wasn't found. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

The table returned by #table comes with metadata containing a single field named "QueryFolding". However, in Excel's Query Editor (Power Query version 2.83.5894.761 64-bit), if I click on that field's value to view it, an expression error is raised ("The field 'QueryFolding' of the record wasn't found.").

let
        Source = #table(null, {{1, "A"}}),
        Metadata = Value.Metadata(Source)
    in
        Metadata

Interestingly, if I change the result clause to "Metadata[QueryFolding]", the same error is returned; however, changing the Metadata = line to "Metadata = Value.Metadata(Source)[QueryFolding]" allows me to access the particular value without an error.

Looks like a bug...any chance this could get fixed?

Thanks,
    Ben

Monday, August 17, 2020 8:47 PM

Answers

• Hello Ben,

The QueryFolding record on the metadata is a private contract between the Mashup Engine and the UX. It's not actually physically there, and is only added when the mashup is evaluated in the context of the UI (editor). That's why you can't get at it. You should not rely on this field in anyway and don't build on top of it - as it's really just a pseudo field.

Regards,

PQ

Peter Q. http://blogs.msdn.com/peter_qian

• Marked as answer by Ben Gribaudo Friday, August 21, 2020 3:38 PM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2020 9:09 PM

All replies

• Hello Ben,

The QueryFolding record on the metadata is a private contract between the Mashup Engine and the UX. It's not actually physically there, and is only added when the mashup is evaluated in the context of the UI (editor). That's why you can't get at it. You should not rely on this field in anyway and don't build on top of it - as it's really just a pseudo field.

Regards,

PQ

Peter Q. http://blogs.msdn.com/peter_qian

• Marked as answer by Ben Gribaudo Friday, August 21, 2020 3:38 PM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2020 9:09 PM
  • Thank you, Peter!
    Friday, August 21, 2020 3:38 PM