none
Converting ESXi VMs to Hyper-V 2TB disk limit? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running SCVMM 2016 on Windows 2016 datacenter hosts.

We have an ESXi 6.0 cluster.

So from what I've read up VHDX supports 64TB, same as VMFS5. But when I go look at a server under the ESXi cluster within SCVMM, it errors trying to load data for any VM that has a disk larger then 2TB. I end up with two errors:

(690) The disk size is larger than the available space. The disk size is 2764 GB and the maximum amount allowed for bus SCSI is 2040 GB. The maximum disk sizes are: IDE (0 GB) and SCSI (2040 GB). 

Recommended Action
    Reduce the disk size or connect it to another bus type, and then try the operation again.

(23234) VM Refresher encountered an error while creating or updating VM HOEV with ID: 423c5063-38db-4702-054c-c2de2cb9403f. The disk size is larger than the available space. The disk size is 2764 GB and the maximum amount allowed for bus SCSI is 2040 GB. The maximum disk sizes are: IDE (0 GB) and SCSI (2040 GB).
    Reduce the disk size or connect it to another bus type, and then try the operation again.

Recommended Action
    Validate the VM's configuration in Hyper-V, repair the VM in VMM, and retry the operation.

I'm unable to reduce the size on these disks, so what options do I have to convert? I would've assumed since it can handle up to 64TB disks that it shouldn't have an issue, but it appears to. Is my only option to download the VMDK's individually and convert them manually, detaching them from the ESXi VM side so I can convert the rest, then reattach them later?

Thanks for any help.

Friday, December 16, 2016 11:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

Unfortunately , I don't have a VMware VM at hand to perform V2V test for you .

>>The disk size is larger than the available space.

Have you tried to test for a small VMware VM to check the type of converted VHD (static or dynamic) and if it is VHDx format .

If it is possible , you may try to use MVMC to convert the VMDK to dynamic VHDX :

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/timomta/2015/06/11/how-to-convert-a-vmware-vmdk-to-hyper-v-vhd/

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, December 18, 2016 5:29 AM
  • Hi Elton,

I've been able to convert a number of smaller VMs with sub 2TB vmdk sizes. It baffles me as I can't really find anything anywhere in relation to VMM and a limit of 2040GB when migrating a VMware machine, when both systems support 64TB disk sizes.

We could detach the large VMDK and convert the VM while manually copying the VMDK to a location where it could be converted. The problem is that would require an outage window larger then we're able to do. Due to the migration only running at around 1.5-2GB a minute, plus whatever time it takes to copy the VMDK and convert it, it'd take the best part of a week if not a week. The server is semi-critical and data on it may be required for legal reasons, so can't afford to have it down for long periods.

I've looked at MVMC but apparently it's obsolete now, replaced by Azure Site Recovery.

Sunday, December 18, 2016 11:33 PM
  • You can convert the VMs bigger than 2 TB using StarWind V2V converter (Free). 

Remember to enable the "Activate Windows repair mode" checkbox for Windows VMs so they can adapt to new virtual hardware properly.

Please let me know if that helps

• Proposed as answer by Taras Shved Wednesday, December 21, 2016 12:06 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 9:48 AM