What is the difference in WinXP and Win7 in how they are used to allow programs to sort files? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a networked program that has a database on a domain server. this program was designed for Win XP and works fine.  Recently, we tried to upgrade to Win 7, but we found a problem.

In the program, it is able to sort the files by the date they were entered.  However, on the Win7 machines, the program does not sort by date correctly.  When trying to sort, the files are arranged randomly, instead of by the date entered.

What is the difference in WinXP and Win7 in how they are used to allow programs to sort files?  Since the program was written and works in XP, I assume that Win7 handles dates differently.  Is there a fix for this issue in Win7?

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Monday, January 7, 2013 9:54 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Monday, January 7, 2013 8:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Windows 7 is completely new system compared to Windows XP. They are two totally different operation system.

If you are using Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 7 Enterprise, you may have a try to run this program in Windows XP Mode.

More information about Windows XP Mode, please see:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode

Hope it helps.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by tracycai Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:17 AM
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please understand that Microsoft has the very limited resources about the third party program. You may contact the program developer for assistance. And check if there are updates for Windows 7 system.

Thanks.

Tracy Cai

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 9:06 AM
  • Traci,

How is this supposed to help me?  I did not ask about the third party program.  I asked about the differences between XP and Win 7.  The third party vendor is not who should know best about Microsoft OSs.  Microsoft should know best about their own products.  I simply referred to the third party program as an example of the problem that I see between the two OSs.  I'm looking for an answer about win 7, not about any other programs.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 1:01 PM
  • Hi,

Windows 7 is completely new system compared to Windows XP. They are two totally different operation system.

If you are using Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 7 Enterprise, you may have a try to run this program in Windows XP Mode.

More information about Windows XP Mode, please see:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode

Hope it helps.

Tracy Cai

• Marked as answer by tracycai Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:17 AM
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:40 AM
  • Tracy,

Thank you.  I am exploring options with Virtual Machines now.  I hadn't considered that before.

Jeff

Friday, January 11, 2013 4:19 PM
  • Can you give more details about the XP system? What is the locale/language on the XP and WinXP machines? Is the win7 machine 64-bit by chance? Can it be some permission related error?

--pa

Paval,

It's US-EN and 32 bit machines.  I don't believe it has to do with permissions.

Friday, January 11, 2013 4:21 PM