SBS 2011 WSUS and SBS Console - want to remove all Windows XP updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I now want to remove all Windows XP Products, and possibly others also, from WSUS console on SBS 2011, can't see why I need to carry all of these around any more.

Though it seems in doing so this breaks the SBS management console as this relies on having a certain set of configuration settings and the only way to make it work again is to ensure that all Products are selected in WSUS console. Seems a little crazy..

Are there any updates to SBS 2011 which will allow me to change/deselect certain unnecessary Products in WSUS console without this breaking SBS management console ?

Mike

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 10:05 AM

Answers

• I know the wizard has issues if there are lots of things to cleanup but did you get it working in the end?  Does it run now without issues?  Big thing is to keep running it monthly as signature updates expire quickly and fill things up.  Having all the products checked (for SBS) does not add much to the downloads - it will only download patches that your PC's show demand for so if you are not using a product those patches will not download.

Fairly sure you could go through all the updates and manually set all the XP ones to "not approved" and they would get cleaned up the next time you run the cleanup wizard.

-- Al

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Wednesday, February 25, 2015 3:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Thursday, March 5, 2015 3:36 AM
    Friday, February 13, 2015 5:11 PM
  • What Al said.  Further, you can automate the clean up process with the below code from Code Plex.

https://wsus.codeplex.com/releases/view/17612

Another possibility is to remove the database, or even all of WSUS and start over now that there are no XP systems, but this is entirely unnecessary if WSUS is working properly.  Ticking all updates will NOT bring down updates for such as Windows 8 or XP unless there are such systems in you network.

Larry Struckmeyer[MVP] If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

• Edited by Larry Struckmeyer Saturday, February 14, 2015 12:10 PM
    Saturday, February 14, 2015 12:15 AM

All replies

• Why do you want to do this, are you having issues with WSUS disk space or something?

Have you been maintaining the WSUS store by running the cleanup wizard (in the WSUS MMC) on it periodically?  if you haven't, then the store is probably really big and the wizard may have issues now. 

-- Al

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Friday, February 13, 2015 7:14 AM
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:38 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I agree with Al. Please use Server Cleanup Wizard and check if help you to solve this issue. For more details, please refer to following article.

Use the Server Cleanup Wizard

If any update, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 13, 2015 7:14 AM
  • I did run the Server Cleanup Wizard, but had a epic battle with that due to various issues you mention above.
    I had children and they grew up whilst I was tangling with that !

Got it all stable and then had to reset everything in WSUS and Policy etc as per Microsoft TechNet article:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg680316.aspx

..in order for SBS management console to function properly again.

But so as not to get it clogged up with hundreds and hundreds of pointless updates for things we're never going to need any more  I really wanted to just choose some/certain/selected Products as opposed to all Products without this ending up breaking the SBS management console again.

Do you know if this is possible to do this or not ?

Really want to keep the SBS management console working properly if at all possible.

But it sounds highly likely that I either accept the 'all' Products setting which I really don't want, or I modify WSUS to a sensible/required set of settings but then have to accept/live with broken SBS Management Console.

Surely Microsoft must be aware of this and can remedy this now that Windows XP and perhaps several other older products have be retired.

In an ideal world I do not even want to see entries in the Products section for end of life or retired products.

Perhaps they are only in there so as to not break SBS management Console ;-)

Mike

Friday, February 13, 2015 3:23 PM
  • I know the wizard has issues if there are lots of things to cleanup but did you get it working in the end?  Does it run now without issues?  Big thing is to keep running it monthly as signature updates expire quickly and fill things up.  Having all the products checked (for SBS) does not add much to the downloads - it will only download patches that your PC's show demand for so if you are not using a product those patches will not download.

Fairly sure you could go through all the updates and manually set all the XP ones to "not approved" and they would get cleaned up the next time you run the cleanup wizard.

-- Al

Friday, February 13, 2015 5:11 PM
  • What Al said.  Further, you can automate the clean up process with the below code from Code Plex.

https://wsus.codeplex.com/releases/view/17612

Another possibility is to remove the database, or even all of WSUS and start over now that there are no XP systems, but this is entirely unnecessary if WSUS is working properly.  Ticking all updates will NOT bring down updates for such as Windows 8 or XP unless there are such systems in you network.

Larry Struckmeyer[MVP] If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

• Edited by Larry Struckmeyer Saturday, February 14, 2015 12:10 PM
    Saturday, February 14, 2015 12:15 AM