none
Import Virtual Box VHD to Hyper-V - Possible? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to create a VM in virtual box, configure it, and then import and mount it to Hyper-V? I have looked around for a solution/answer and cant seem to find any information. I have seen posts like: from Hyper-V to Virtual box - but not the other way around.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 11:32 AM

Answers

• I've just tried do it, take a look in this picture:

• Marked as answer by Kent_D Monday, August 6, 2012 11:29 AM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 7:13 PM

All replies

• I've just tried do it, take a look in this picture:

• Marked as answer by Kent_D Monday, August 6, 2012 11:29 AM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 7:13 PM
  • A direct import won't work, that is ony for Hyper-V VMs that have been exported.

There would need to be some kind of conversion before you could use a VBox Vm in Hyper-V.  There are some pretty significant virtual hardware differences, for example, no USB.

You may be able to convert the VBox virtual hard drive to run in Hyper-v, but you'll need to configure the VM. 

Hyper-V and Virtual Box aren't really comparable products, one is deisgned for server virtualization, the other desktop virtualization.

With Windows 8 and Hyper-V 3, there may be some changes to this.

For future Hyper-V questions, the Hyper-V forum is a better place if you want feedback: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/threads/

this forum is specific to the product Virtual Server 2005, which is now end-of-life.

Friday, July 13, 2012 7:47 PM
  • Hi,
    I have just imported a vhd from Virtual box to Hyper-V 3, it worked like a charm with no issue
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:57 AM
  • Can you share the details on how you did this?
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:27 AM